Powerline to unmanaged switch to modem router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-31 15:52:13

Apologies if this been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer after trawling through previous threads.

Can you put a switch between the 'adaptor/master' plug and a modem router (not the 'extender/slave')? Or does the master unit need to plug directly into a modem router? 

Background - I'm looking to over-haul my home network a little. My BT modem router is poor to say the least, so looking to invest in an Archer VR2800. 
We have a living area dedicated to the kids with wireless TV & games consoles at one end of the house. Wireless connection there is poor so I've already bought an AV1300 pass through kit to assist with this. I also have a legacy Devolo pass through powerline alternative running the TV at the other end of the house. As part of this upgrade I want to move the Router from underneath my office desk to the hallway to improve overall wi-fi coverage. I was then thinking of running a 15m LAN cable back to my office for all my relevant work uses (PC/Printer/IP phone etc.) These are currently on 2x unmanaged 8 port Netgear switches, which connect to my BT modem router. The hall way only has a single power plug in it which will be needed to power the router, and would mean that I cannot use both the TP link powerline and the Devolo alternative. I was thinking, can I use the plugs in my office for my TP AV1300 kit, and connect this to one of the routers that is feeding over the 15m cable to the modem router? So connection to the modem router, but via a switch? Or does the 'master' unit of the kit need to directly feed into the modem router? 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Powerline to unmanaged switch to modem router
2020-10-31 16:00:11 - last edited 2020-10-31 16:02:47

@FunsizePhil 

Yes you can install an unmanaged ethernet swtich between the router and master powerline adapter.

fwiw, we have an unmanaged 8 port switch between our Sky Q hub and a TPlink AV500 adapter.

Options
2020-10-31 16:57:25

@bob888  Thanks!

Can you add another slave to pair both with the master? Would this second slave handle 10+ ports of use on attached switches? 

Just thinking further, rather than running a 15m cable through the hallway, could I add a second 'slave' pass through socket and pair this with the master, and plug the  2x unmanaged switches into this second slave in the office, so that the kids room & office feed back on separate 'slaves' to the single master in the hall at the router?

Thanks

bob888 wrote

@FunsizePhil 

Yes you can install an unmanaged ethernet swtich between the router and master powerline adapter.

fwiw, we have an unmanaged 8 port switch between our Sky Q hub and a TPlink AV500 adapter.

Options
2020-10-31 18:05:46 - last edited 2020-10-31 18:07:46

@FunsizePhil 

One adapter (let's call it master) has to be wired to the ISP router (via a switch) for access to the internet.

All remaining adapters (let's call them slaves) can be installed anywhere in the property, provided they have been all paired together.  You can install unmanaged switches to each adapter if you require additional ethernet ports.

Actual speeds from the master to each adapter will vary and dependent on the electrical ring mains wiring, electrical interference etc.   For AV500/600 adapters, don't expect consistent speeds of more than 60 mbps in real world use, dropping to as low as 20 mbps in my experience.

When it works, powerline adapters are just a 'convenient' solution to avoid drilling holes through walls and laying ethernet cable.  It is popular for this reason.   Fully wired ethernet will always offer faster/reliable/lower latency connections.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 981

Replies: 3

Related Articles