Guest network does not work with UNMANAGED switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-02 19:16:24
Tags: #Guest network
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I have a network of 2 pieces M9 Plus and 3 pieces M5. Most are connected wired, some through WiFi.

A few weeks ago I have introduced an unmanaged switch in the network, the TP-link TL-SG105.

Since then, the Guest Network is not working in a stable way. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it complains about not being able to retrieve an IP-address.

When I remove the switch from the network, everything works fine again.

The Help pages tell me that there is een issue for Guest Networks when you use a managed switch, but I think is happens with the unmanaged switch as well.

Any help is highly appreciated!

Best regards

Tom

Options
6 Reply
Re:Guest network does not work with UNMANAGED switch
2023-07-03 02:48:34

@TomvdP Hi, may I know the model number of the unmanaged switch?

Can I have some pictures of the network map and Backhaul types on the Deco APP, such as:

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-07-04 18:32:07

@David-TP Hi David, thanks for stepping in!

The model-number of the switch is in my original post.

Hope you can help me!

Thanks

Tom

Options
2023-07-12 07:09:24

@David-TP any ideas? Thanks!

Options
2023-07-12 08:25:17

@TomvdP Hi, Thanks for the notification. Sorry, I must overlook your last message.

Could you please help me run a simple test:

• Unplug the wireless backhaul Deco M9 plus or M5, only leave the wired connected satellite Mesh units.
  • Then connect to the guest network and check whether you could connect to the guest network or whether you could constantly reproduce the unstable issue on guest network.

I think when you are connected to the guest of wireless satellite Deco, the guest network could work well, then if you roam to the wired Deco's guest network, it might fail to communicate with the main Deco and could not get an IP address.

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2023-07-12 08:57:07

@David-TP 

See if I understood you correctly. I unplugged every Deco that was connecte wirelessly. So only ethernet-connections remained.

After that, the Guest-network seems to work fine. I tried 3 different devices, they all were able to connect to the Guest Network.

So what do we do now?

Regards

Tom

Options
2023-07-14 11:56:27

@David-TP any ideas about next steps, David?

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 266

Replies: 6

Tags

Guest network
Related Articles