Printer Controller Utility crashes Windows 8

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-02-13 20:31:34
Region : Poland

Model : TD-W8968

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : TD-W8968_V1_120926

ISP :

Hello.

Recently I've switched to Windows 8 Pro 32bit (from Win XP) and since that moment I have problems with USB Printer Controller Utility. I was able to print test page successfully but printing larger documents (for example PDF file, about 15MB of data needs to be transferred to the printer) results in blue screen of death. Additionally if USB Printer Controller Utility is started "automatically wit Windows" switching user results in BSOD about 30 seconds after the second instance of Printer Controlled is loaded. Right now I've not found any way to use USB Printer connected to TD-W8968 while using W8.
WhoCrashes states that the crash cause was Printer Controller Utility. It is very easy to reproduce the crash.

Both firmware and the utility was downloaded from http://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/?model=TD-W8968&version=V1#tbl_j
According to this webpage TD-W8968_V1_USB Printer Controller Utility( For Windows) works in Windows 8.

According to http://www.tp-link.com/common/promo/en/win8compatibility/ W8968 works with Window 8 (after firmware upgrade which I did way before installing W8).

Any ideas/solutions/work arounds?

Regards
- Mak
Options
8 Reply
Re:Printer Controller Utility crashes Windows 8
2013-02-15 15:00:49
Disable the antivirus software on the computer, uninstall and then reinstall the utility. I'm not sure it would fix your issue or not. Good luck!
Options
2013-02-15 17:34:49
Problem was reproduced on clean windows 8 pro installation so 3rd party software is not an issue.
Options
Same for me with Windows 7
2013-05-11 01:03:29
Unfortunately I experience the same problem. It's replicable every time. My router is WR1042ND, my printer is CP1215 and I have it on autoconnect. I use the newest software. After switching user and turning on another USB Printer controller BSoD happens after 10-15s. Windows Debugger shows that this is a BAD_POOL_CALLER. TplinkUDSMBus is attempting to free pool which was already freed. Unfortunately this makes my router piece of crap as the printer server was the main reason to buy it in the first place. Bad job TP-Link.
Options
2013-08-24 21:37:12
there is the same problem with WDR-3600 router and Windows 8, printer utility causes BSODs every reboot
Options
2013-08-25 14:08:24

MisiuF1 wrote

there is the same problem with WDR-3600 router and Windows 8, printer utility causes BSODs every reboot

Do you download the printer utility for Windows 8 from TP-LINK website? Maybe you can also install the printer utility on another Windows 8 computer and see what happens.
Options
2013-09-11 01:37:49
Hi,
Just want to say thanx.
This thread helped me a lot.
I have the same problem with my Tl-Wr1043ND and the newest Printer utility from the tplink site.
It gives me BSOD after switching user with Vista Home Premium 32bit.
This is a nice bug. Wasted my time to get rid of it.
my printer is Canon IP 4600.
Removed the utility and no problems.
Installed older Version of the utility and all is fine.
Its working with the older version for me, but I'm not sure, that's running with windows 8.
Please fix the problem tplink, BSOD is really a bad thing...

Thanks again,
Tom
Options
2015-01-16 01:53:52
For anyone facing the same issue, I have some hope here. Try this version of their software:

http://www.tp-link.com/resources/software/TL-WR1043ND_V2_USB_Printer_Controller_Utility_140613.zip

I know its for some other model router but I have found this to be working for my TD-W8968 v3 Modem/Router without causing any BSOD crashes (as of posting this). Procedure:

1. Uninstall the current version of TP-Link USB Printer Controller.
2. Reboot your PC.
3. Download & install the other version of their utility from the link given above.
4. Reboot again.

It worked for me so hopefully it should work for others also.

- Akash
Options
2015-01-16 08:55:11
:D:DYes ,My friend just did as what akb said and he successfully solved his problem , by the way , I think this link should also be useful , I have tested it my self:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TL-WR842ND&version=V2#tbl_b
go to this website and download the 'TL-WR842ND_V2_USB Printer Controller Utility' . It can work well without any problem as well.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1011

Replies: 8

Related Articles