Only 173.3 Mbps on 5Ghz between Archer C80 and Intel Wireless-AC 7265NGW

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-02 16:08:39
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.7 Build 200907 Rel.62218n(5553)

As the title says, when I look at the Wifi status, the speed only shows 173.3 Mbps, even though in theory both devices should be able to connect with each other at significantly higher speed.

Transfering big files the speed tops at 16.6 MB/s. (SSD to HDD NAS and vice versa)

Wifi router: TP-Link Archer C80
Wifi adapter: Intel Wireless-AC 7265NGW (max 867 Mbps @ 5Ghz)

The router is new, fresh out of the box. Updated the firmware to the latest version. The adapter driver also updated to the latest version.
The router and the laptop only a meter apart, no barrier whatsoever.

I've tried a few suggested tips, like using 80Mhz for the channel width and trying some of the available channel, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. At the moment I set both to auto.

I plan to transfer big files between the laptop and NAS, so getting as close to the maximum speed as possible is important.

Anyone has encountered the same problem and solve the mystery?

Thanks in advance..

Options
3 Reply
Re:Only 173.3 Mbps on 5Ghz between Archer C80 and Intel Wireless-AC 7265NGW
2020-11-06 11:42:06

@claneksi 

Hello, thank you very much for the detailed info, we can still check the below info and see if we can improve it:
1. Simplify your network layout and only leave your ISP modem and the C80, connect them in this way: ISP modem--C80---Laptop, leave all other clients disconnected, then run speedtest app on the laptop 3 times, please confirm what is the download and upload speed you can get, show us the test results.
2. Connect the ISP modem--C80)))(((laptop (connect to the 5GHz), leave all other clients disconnected, then run the speedtest app 3 times again and confirm what is the download and upload speed. Please also confirm what is the wireless link speed between the laptop and the C80.
3. When performing all these tests, make sure you don’t have background programs hogging too much bandwidth. Syncing photos, backing things up to the cloud, file sharing, and other applications can make your upstream connection pretty crowded.
4. Check your speeds with different devices. If one is significantly faster, you might have a hardware or software issue with your device rather than an Internet problem.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-11-07 01:45:38 - last edited 2020-11-07 01:46:06

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you for your response! (I almost gave up lol)

Unfortunately, my problem isn't the internet speed. I only have a 50Mbps connection anyway so there's no problem reaching max internet speed available to me on all of my devices. (constant 50 Mbps down and 25Mbps up)

The issue was the local network connection itself, because I plan to transfer files between devices within the network (PC/NAS/laptop/phone). The NAS are connected through the gigabit switch, so no problem there.

At the moment I have to use a gigabit ethernet adapter to get better speed for my laptop, but then what's the point of having high speed AC wifi ^^; I was hoping to be able to utilize the router to it's maximum potential.

Anyway, here's my speedtest result:

Interestingly, my Pi4 are able to connect at 433.3 Mbps (bit rate), So there must be something that can be optimized here. 

Options
2020-11-09 03:31:40

@claneksi 

Hello, if the 5GHz wireless link speed got stuck at 173.3Mbps, we have little to do with the slow the transfer speed. Is it possible to get another laptop with 5GHz wireless card to do a simple comparison? Or you can connect this laptop to another 5GHz network and see if it can negotiate with a higher speed.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1801

Replies: 3

Related Articles