Good download/upload speeds but im lagging when on ps4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-04 12:23:37
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 20201013 Rel.64247

I have recently installed the Deco X60 whole home wifi across my house which has helped the wifi range across the entire house now and works great. The only thing that seems to struggle is when im gaming on my ps4 i tend to lag still and online gameplay is not smooth. When i am in the room where my PlayStation is i get good results from my speed tests and the wifi works great when on the internet or streaming videos. Any ideas on why i am still lagging when i have good wifi speeds in the room that the PlayStation is in and any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Options
5 Reply
Re:Good download/upload speeds but im lagging when on ps4
2020-11-05 08:35:41

@EllisB 

Hello, thanks for reporting the issue to the community.

To better assist you, please provide us with the below information:
1. What is the current network topology/layout? How many Deco X60s do you have in total? How are they connected? Is the main Deco working as a router or an access point mode?
2. Have you tested the speed with a computer? Is the PS4 connected to the main Deco or the satellite Deco, via wireless or wired connection? Please check the link speed on it. There might be a difference between the speed tested on the Deco app and the actual speed tested on a client, you may refer to the below link for more details:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1865/
3. If the PS4 is connected to the X60 via wired connection, please try with different cat6 or cat7 cables between the PS4 and Deco, then check how it goes.

4. If the Deco X60 is working as a router, try to change the DNS settings on it to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, then reboot the mesh system and confirm.

May it help.

Options
2020-11-05 09:15:04

@TP-Link_Deco hello, apologies as my knowledge isn't great so I can't get too technical.

1)I currently have 3 X60s in the house. The main deco is set up as an access point I think. 

2)speed on a computer/iPhones across the house is also relatively fast across the entire house now. The PS4 is not connected to the main Deco as it doesn't reach this far. But the deco it's connected to is in the same room as the PS4 where I have used an Ethernet cable from the deco to the ps4 (not sure if this would make a difference)? 
3)by cat6 or cat7 cable do you mean Ethernet cable?

4) I don't think it is router mode. How can I check this?

Options
2020-11-05 10:53:36

@EllisB 

Hello, thanks for getting back.

Yes, cat5e or cat 6 or cat7 stands for different types of the Ethernet cables, generally, the higher the better.

You may launch the Deco app on your phone, then go to More-Advanced, where you will find the working mode or operation mode.

Options
2020-11-05 13:12:43

@TP-Link_Deco right okay it's currently in router mode. 

Options
2020-11-06 03:19:43

@EllisB 

Hi, if it is router mode, try to change the DNS server on it to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, then reboot the system.

Options