Audio streaming

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Audio streaming

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Audio streaming
Audio streaming
2020-11-04 16:22:53
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all!

I just receive a Deco M5 duo pack and have installed it on my existing modem/router that I got from my provider. However, I run into issues with our Bluesound audio system which are linked to each other on our existing network. The setup has one UTP going from the router to switch in a differet room. On that switch is my NAS, iMac and a Bluesound Powernode2 music streamer. On the other three ports of the router I have the TV, a gaming console and a Bluesound Node 2 music streamer. The 2 music streamers can link together if they are in the same network as the streaming controler. (on iOS or OSX in our case) Now the Deco M5 main hub is connected by ethernet to the port that used to hold the Node2 music streamer which causes the link between the two streamers to not be possible anymore. I know it is not possible to merge the existing wifi into the Deco mesh network so I will need to look for a different solution. Is there a router that can be used with the Deco mesh network that has 4 ethernet ports instead of the 2 on the deco? Or is there a setting that can be used to fix this issue?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Audio streaming
2020-11-04 21:40:52

@JKa 

Why can't you connect TV to Main Deco instead of router, and music streamer to router instead of Main Deco?

Options
2020-11-05 05:41:23

@Alexandre. Hey, thnx for the reply!

that would indeed move the streamer in the same network as the other streamer. They would then be controllable with the iMac as they then share the same part of the network. But because all mobile devices are connected to the mesh network they will not "see" the streamers. I think I have two options:

1. use two networks in the house with a triple Deco m5 set. ideally I would prefer to have only one network and set my modem into bridge mode.

2. (Preferred) exchange the primary m5 with a compatible mesh router that has more Ethernet ports.

the first option is far from ideal and the second does not seem possible as far as I know. I hope I'm wrong and that I'm missing something.

Options
2020-11-05 08:21:18

@JKa 

Hi, just to confirm, is the Deco M5 working as a router or access point? You may try to switch it to access point then all devices should be in the same LAN.

Sorry that Deco can only build a mesh network with the Deco, it can't build a mesh network with the non-Deco devices.

Options
2020-11-05 08:29:34

@TP-Link_Deco thnx! It was indeed set as router to create the benefits of a Mesh network. Not sure if the Deco as a access point is worth it. I might simply go for a stronger single router n that case. Our house is not very big so that should then be enough and save some powersockets😅

Options
2020-11-05 11:03:31

@JKa 

I see. If that is the case, then I suggest you may go with the option 1.

Options
2020-11-05 14:12:10

@JKa 

>(Preferred) exchange the primary m5 with a compatible mesh router that has more Ethernet ports.

Another option is to buy simple 4-5 port Gigabit switch and connect it to one of Main Deco ports, thus expanding its number of ports easily. 

Options
2020-12-17 07:51:00 - last edited 2020-12-22 04:04:29

@JKa It's great and I am planning to buy Deco M5, a game console, and a Bluesound Node 2 music player to play my favorite ringtone.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1161

Replies: 7

Related Articles