AX50 randomly drops all WIFI connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-05 06:22:39
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.9 Build 20200708 rel.55037

I've been using my AX50 for about 3 months now and I started having random WIFI drops. It drops all WIFI 2.4G and 5G connections for few min then it starts working again. Sometimes it happens once or twice a day, but sometimes it works fine for few weeks before it drops again. All LAN connected devices are fine and there are no logs in the system logs regarding the drops. All settings are default and OFDMA, Smart Connect, Airtime Features are all disabled. Is anyone else having this issue? I've had Asus RT-AC68U and Linksys Velop before and these never had any drop issues for 3-4 years of use. Kind of disappointed for trying out a TP-Link WIFI router for the first time, should I try to RMA it?

Options
5 Reply
Re:AX50 randomly drops all WIFI connection
2020-11-05 12:49:55

@Kenetics 

HI 

I have the AX50 currently , and previously  the same Asus router  whose firmware failed in May 20 and was refunded by Asus , Holland

I also use the default supplied Virgin router as modem only, and the TP Link as router .

Works ok but a bit quirky ......such as removing / replacing  this router as it prevents Windows 10 reinstalling from scratch !

What is your setup / settings ?

Regards 

RP

Options
2020-11-06 09:01:53

@Kenetics 

Hello, thanks for reporting the issue to the community, can I have more details then our engineers can try to investigate further?
1. As per your description, it seems that the wired connection of this AX50 is stable, it is only the wireless connection is not stable, may I know how many devices are connected to the 2.4GHz wireless or 5GHz?
2. Are all of them experiencing the same dropout or just some special or old clients? When they got disconnected, is the wireless network of the Archer AX50 still broadcasting or the wireless network is no longer available on all other devices as well?
If the devices are still connected to the network but no internet access, please confirm if the devices can still get a correct IP address from AX50, what is the IP address? Can you ping the AX50 gateway and internet? How to do this? Click here.
If the devices disconnected from the wireless and cannot connect back, what is the error message?

3. Feel the router, if the router is hot or lots of heat coming out, put the router in a well-ventilated location or mount it vertically on a stand that permits the free flow of air, or use a fan to cool the router, a regular fan or USB fan is fine.
4. Set the Wi-Fi Transmit Power to middle or low (if the setting is currently set to high), and see if this helps.
I hope the above helps with troubleshooting the issue. Do reply to let the community know.

Options
2020-11-06 11:10:34

@Tweakfiend 

Hello, just to confirm, what does this mean by "removing / replacing  this router as it prevents Windows 10 reinstalling from scratch"? Do you mean you cannot update the Windows 10 system when connected to the AX50? Was this Windows 10 connected to the AX50 via Ethernet cable or wireless, 2.4GHz or 5GHz? You may check try to change the DNS setting on the AX50 to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, then reboot it and confirm.

Options
2020-11-06 21:33:11 - last edited 2020-11-06 21:33:55

@Kevin_Z Thanks for taking the time to look into my issue.

1. I have 10 devices on 5G and 5 devices on 2.4G

2. All WIFI devices disconnect and when I try to join the SSID on a device, I get an error "Unable to join" when the problem occurs. I believe the the SSIDs are not being broadcasted.

3. Router is same temp as always, it's sitting on top of a open table.

4. I've recently set the 2.4G to 20MHz and 5G to 40MHz for now, waiting to see if my problem comes back.

Few updates after talking to family members about the WIFI issue.

The WIFI starts to disconnect for about 2-3min then it starts working after. The disconnect repeats every 10-15min indefinitely until the router is rebooted. Once the router is rebooted no more disconnects for few weeks until it starts to disconnect again and needs to be rebooted.

Options
2020-12-14 19:21:06

Found a workaround,

Changing WIFI settings 2.4G to 20MHz and 5G to 40MHz recommended by TPLink support team did not resolve my issue, this only lowered my WIFI speed to about 50% of what I usually get from defaul settings and still having WIFI drops.

Workaround for me was to set a weekly reboot schedule every Sunday at 3am. It's not really a permanent fix, but it's good workaround as I stopped getting WIFI drops for about a month now with WIFI settings back to default for maxmium speed.

I am guessing the WIFI router has some sort of glitches or memory leaks that needs to be cleared to keep functioning normally.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1894

Replies: 5

Related Articles