Deco M9 Plus with Virgin Media Hub 3.0

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-05 15:34:44 - last edited 2020-11-06 02:31:11
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Deco had been working well for the last month, then 2 nights ago internet connection dropped. I reset the router and the Virgin Modem and connection was resolved.

Last night the same thing happened yet now I just can't get Deco to work properly... I have VM Hub in Modem mode so I connected to it directly with a laptop and there was an internet connection available. I switched off the hub and the deco again then back on in hope yet nothing... Just a red light on top of the Deco and on the app 'no internet connection'.

I noticed the LAN IP in Deco settings was the same as the VM Hub address (192.168.0.1) so I changed the Deco to 192.168.1.1 in the hope that might resolve any conflict. Nada. Tried VM Hub off and coax cable out then turning all on till flashing green light on Hub then putting the coax back in. Nada.

Any ideas?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M9 Plus with Virgin Media Hub 3.0-Solution
2020-11-05 15:50:10 - last edited 2020-11-06 02:31:11

.... Ok, never mind. Worked it out...

I have a TP Link gigabit switch attached to the second LAN port of the DECO. I guess Deco doesn't see a difference between the two ports so it was somehow trying to create internet access settings from the ethernet switch as it was still powered up and then when the modem was back online the settings were wrong.

Tried again but left the ethernet switch disconnected... Success. Wish they had just made one LAN port on the Deco an 'In' and the other a dedicated 'out'! Would have saved me a few hours.

This is also a pain in the bum because if there is a service interruption from the Hub 3.0 then the Deco will lock on to the wrong settings from the ethernet switch and even if the modem comes back online there will be no network till I intervene. :(

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus with Virgin Media Hub 3.0-Solution
2020-11-05 15:50:10 - last edited 2020-11-06 02:31:11

.... Ok, never mind. Worked it out...

I have a TP Link gigabit switch attached to the second LAN port of the DECO. I guess Deco doesn't see a difference between the two ports so it was somehow trying to create internet access settings from the ethernet switch as it was still powered up and then when the modem was back online the settings were wrong.

Tried again but left the ethernet switch disconnected... Success. Wish they had just made one LAN port on the Deco an 'In' and the other a dedicated 'out'! Would have saved me a few hours.

This is also a pain in the bum because if there is a service interruption from the Hub 3.0 then the Deco will lock on to the wrong settings from the ethernet switch and even if the modem comes back online there will be no network till I intervene. :(

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco M9 Plus with Virgin Media Hub 3.0
2020-11-06 02:35:00

@Cambo 

Hello, thanks for letting us know the good result that you were working it out.

Just to confirm, is the Virgin Modem or the line unstable and disconnect very often? If that is the case, we do agree that it may cause some trouble, as based on what you described, it seems that there might be a smart DHCP server in the LAN network and that is why the Deco take the other LAN that connects to the switch as the WAN after your Virgin Mode rebooted.

While if this issue happens quite frequently, we may help escalate your case to the engineers, and they can help you to fix the WAN port on the Deco. Let me know if you want to do this change, thanks.

Options
2020-11-06 07:14:40

@TP-Link_Deco that would be great if there is a way to avoid this happening again.

The Virgin line isn't usually unstable but has been the last few nights. Maybe they are doing work on their servers?

My big problem was I have a wireless alarm for my house that I usually arm and disarm using my phone and the keypad that came with it wasn't turning the alarm off... so there was a fair bit of background noise as I tried to figure this out! (Definitely a motivational moment to replace the alarms keypad)

Options
2020-11-09 06:43:03

@Cambo 

I see. We will escalate your case to the engineers, and they will help you to get the beta firmware then. Please check your email box, thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2561

Replies: 4

Related Articles