Unstable wifi connection.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-05 18:22:04
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20191026 rel.16299

I have been experiencing wifi issues for the last month. Any wifi device on my network will hang on opening websites, downloading files, etc until the wifi on the device is turned off and on.  I do not live in an area where there is interference from other networks, and i have tried rebooting the router everyday, and i honestly Have started hating this router. I work from home and a stable wifi connection is a must have. Thankfully i also have a wired connection through the same router, which is extremely stable. i can be in meetings all day long without having any slowdowns.

I have dug around in the forms and have seen a lot of other users complaining of the same issues, and it was paritially resolved by updating to a newer beta firmware.

is there any additional information needed to see if can get a new beta firmware?

related:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/167404?page=1

Options
7 Reply
Re:Unstable wifi connection.
2020-11-06 08:08:39

@dbarney 

Hello, thanks for reporting the issue to the community, can I have more details then our engineers can try to investigate further?
1. As per your description, it seems that the wired connection of this A20 is stable, it is only the wireless connection is not stable, may I know are these devices are connected to the 2.4GHz wireless or 5GHz?
2. How many devices are connected to the wireless network, what are they? Are all of them experiencing the same dropout or just some special or old clients? When they got disconnected, is the wireless network of the Archer A20 still broadcasting or the wireless network is no longer available on all other devices as well?
If the devices are still connected to the 2.4GHz network but no internet access, please confirm if the devices can still get a correct IP address from A20, what is the IP address? Can you ping the A20 gateway and internet? How to do this? Click here.
If the devices disconnected from the wireless and cannot connect back, what is the error message?

Options
2020-11-14 05:36:37

@Kevin_Z 

1 - Normally the devices are connected to the 5GHz channel, I will be running the router on 2.4GHz only the next week and see if the problem only happens with the 5GHz channels are open.

2 - i have a few different devices, two printers, two mac laptops, three different iphones of different models. i can't tell if the printers have issues on the network, as i don't use them to surf the web. however from both laptops and all 3 iphones we will see the hanging requests. Its hard to tell if the archer is still broad casting as the blips are fairly quick, and by the time i ckeck it everything seems normal. I have seen the leds on the front change color to orange a few times, not sure for what as its happens very quick.

i ran a few ping tests as you asked. It looks like sitting 15 feet away from the router, with an RSSI of -43 (as reported from my computer) i am getting odd delays in sending packets, and getting a few dropped packets when just pinging to the router. This was done in the evening without really any other active devices using the network.

5GHz run twice:

--- 192.168.0.1 ping statistics ---

100 packets transmitted, 97 packets received, 3.0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1.109/4.903/62.725/7.520 ms

101 packets transmitted, 100 packets received, 1.0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.973/2.592/24.587/2.628 ms

2.4GHz run twice:

100 packets transmitted, 100 packets received, 0.0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.972/8.805/113.488/22.089 ms

100 packets transmitted, 100 packets received, 0.0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.913/4.083/23.898/4.623 ms

As far as seeing if all devices has problems at the same time, its hard to tell as the blips are quick, however we have noticed both of our phones experience the wifi issues at about the same time.

The IP addresses assigned from the Archer are correct and still within the range they are assigned by the DHCP service.

The devices don't normally have an issue reconnecting, I have seen a few times where we will turn the wifi on our devices off and on, and it will take about 10+ seconds to actually reconnect. normally this would take just 3 seconds or so.

Options
2020-11-16 02:18:15

@dbarney 

Hello, thank you very much for all the detailed info you've provided. May I know who is your ISP?

According to the ping test you have run with the 2.4GHz connection, it seems the connection is quite stable without any package loss, please help confirm and try to connect to the 2.4GHz network on those devices who have ever encountered the dropouts when connected to the 5GHz.

Options
2020-11-20 16:09:47

@Kevin_Z So i hvae been running only on the 2.4GHz channel since i last posted, and the good news is that we havent seen any issues with hanging requests or needing to turn device wifi on and off. However, I am going to be switching ISPs within the next few weeks to one that offers a gigabit connection, and to be able to take advantage of that fully, I really want all three channels on my router to be stable. That was one of the reasons I originally purchased this router.

Options
2020-11-23 02:16:09

@dbarney 

Thank you very much for your update. Please switch back to the 5GHz network and confirm again. BTW, how many devices in the network needs to be on the 5GHz connection? Are all of them encounter the same disconnect issue previously?

May I know who is your ISP?

Options
2020-11-23 18:02:39

@Kevin_Z I really dont think my ISP has anything to do with the 5GHz channels being spotty. But like I said I am switching ISPs to get a Gigabit connection, and i doubt my ISP is casuing packets to be dropped between my router and computer. It seems much more likely that the router it self is having problems as packets are being dropped when I ping my router from my computer, and only on the 5GHz channels and not the 2.4 or wired connections.

As far as which devices need to be connected to the 5GHz chanels, they all can connect to either the 2.4 or 5 channels, however for work I upload and download milti GB files and having a fast connection, even when im not wired directly into the router, saves me a lot of time. 

I bought this specific router as it seemed to be fast and flexible enough and I justified the extra cost of the thing assuming I would not have to spend weeks figuring out how to get it to perform well. But I was wrong on that count, even though it was more expensive, it develped problems only 1 month after using it, which is completely unacceptable.

I switched back on the 5 ghz channels this morning, and all my devices, same as last time I checked, are connecting to the wifi just fine, but having problems connecting to the internet, downloading data, pinging the router, etc.

Options
2020-11-24 01:47:43

@dbarney 

Hello, we understand that the 5G stability is not related to your ISP or even we didn't say a word of that. We just want to confirm more details which may help analyze the issue better, as you mentioned previously that the internet LED on the A20 would become orange in seconds then turns green quickly, which drives me to think there seems to be a connection disconnect between the A20 and the modem. So who is your current ISP?

Anyway, we will escalate this case to the engineers who will be able to help you better. If you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox and respond.    

Thanks for your cooperation and support. Good day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 583

Replies: 7

Related Articles