Can I disable ethernet access on my range extender?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-07 16:48:15
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

We have a teenager who keeps moving the extender to his bedroom so he can plug his xbox directly into the extender via ethernet cable. He does this because we have the wifi settings locked down to control his video game time. 

He does not have the password to the wifi network the extender works on. However, when he plugs in via ethernet, he can access the internet fine with no password -- as if he were connected directly to the router. I'm amazed that the extender works this way, totally bypassing any wireless security we may have set up!!

What can I do to disable the ethernet, aside from buying an RJ45 lock, which appear to only come in 10+ packs???

Options
2 Reply
Re:Can I disable ethernet access on my range extender?
2020-11-10 03:14:53

@idiomatic83 

Good day,

Thanks a lot for your time and patience.

There is no way to disable the Ethernet access on the extender.

But you could add the Xbox into the black list so that even though the Ethernet is connected, there would be no internet;

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1404/

Thank you very much.

Options
Re:Can I disable ethernet access on my range extender?
2020-11-10 11:47:33

@Solla-topee that page you link specifically says in red, devices connected via Ethernet cannot be blocked using access control.

Sounds like I now have a completely useless extender, since this giant security loophole means it can be used inappropriately by our teenager. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1047

Replies: 2

Related Articles