Deco M4 Keeps Dropping Connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-11 16:52:03
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.3

Hello,

I'm having problem with my two Deco's M4, I 'm constantly having connection drops. I'm running them in router mode, At first I thought the problem was caused from my ip cameras and system alarm, hence, I settled up a second ap, to connect those devices, but the problem is still there. It is very annoying as I'm struggling getting a conference call or an online game to work. Does anyone else have the same problem? Is there a solution that I haven't tried?

F.Y. I already tried different dns server, factory reset, changing the main deco and the position of decos.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco M4 Keeps Dropping Connection
2020-11-12 03:23:57

@gregar 

Hello, please help check some details, and we will try to figure it out:
1. How are the two Deco M4s connected to each other, via Ethernet or Wi-Fi? Try to relocate them and ensure they can build up a stable connection with each other if it is Wi-Fi.
2. Who is your ISP and what kind of modem are you using? If it is a modem router, try to switch the Deco M4 to AP mode and see if it makes any difference.
3. Are all the LEDs on the Deco M4 units flashing red or are they still solid green when the connection drops? How often does the connection drops? And how do you make it back to work again? When the connection or internet drops on your devices, are they still showing connected to the Deco network, 2.4GHz or 5GHz?

Options
2020-11-12 06:54:56

@TP-Link_Deco 

1. The two Deco's are connected wireless, and I already tried relocating them.

2. My ISP is vodafone/Greece, my modem is also modem router. I already changed the settings to ap, but the router performance that the ISP equipment is very poor, hence, I would prefer to use the m4 as router, as I can control my network from the app.

3. My connection usually drops, when my two windows 10 laptops, are trying to connect. I haven't noticed the LED's to be honest with you as the deco is in the hall. When the connection drop happens, if i try to reconnect to the network then, the connection establishes again.  I've also noticed that my cpu usage is constantly at 100%.

Options
2020-11-12 07:29:04

@gregar 

Hello, thanks for getting back.

Just to confirm again, do you mean the Windows 10 laptops disconnect from the Deco wireless network and you can reestablish the connection manually? Are both connected to the 5GHz network? You may try to connect to the 2.4GHz network.

Is the main Deco always stable or it is also unstable? When you use the Deco M4 as a router, please ensure you have changed the vodafone modem router into modem only to avoid double NAT or other issues.

What is the distance between the two Deco units?

Options
2020-11-13 06:50:28

@TP-Link_Deco 

When I try to connect my laptop the network sometimes the deco drops the connection and restarts, and I have to reconnect to the access point manually again. The main deco is always stable. I already placed the deco router in DMZ mode, as I can't enable bridge mode in the vodafone router. 

The distance between the two decos is about 6m, with concrete floor in between. I placed the first one (main) in my office, and the second one in my home, the two locations are two different apartments, that share the same connection. The signal in the app is shown as full. 

Could it be a problem in the DHCP? Can I set ip addresses manually for the two laptops in the deco app?  

P.S. I don't want to insert manually the ip addresses on the laptops as I'm constantly on the move and I'm connecting to different wifi's during the day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3441

Replies: 4

Related Articles