HS100 plug - Device Unrechabel

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-11 23:04:04 - last edited 2020-11-18 10:05:12
Model: HS100  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

I have had this plug setup and it has worked fine for days.

I just turned the plug off, and then it stopped responding.

I can see it on my network just fine, it has an IP address but the app says "Device Undetectable"

The device is 4 foot from a TP-Link M5 mesh point.

I do not know the firmware version or how to find out as I have no access to the plug at this time.

It is in a location that I can not access very easily and this is why I got it. I am unable to look at it or "reboot" it.

I want to know how I get it back.

It does have a nightly off and on programmed for 3am, so I am hoping that still triggers and the appliance it controls at least comes back on.

If this involves visiting the plug then it will not be suitable for my needs and I will have to return it for a refund.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:HS100 plug - Device Unrechabel-Solution
2020-11-18 10:03:31 - last edited 2020-11-18 10:05:12

@Nebbs 

Good day,

When the modem was off and Deco had no internet, as long as the smartphone was still on the same network(2.4Ghz or 5Ghz) as the plug's(2.4ghz), we would still see and control it on the Kasa APP.

But if the smartphone switched to 3/4G mobile data already or the plug was disconnected from the Deco network, the plug is no longer accessible since APP might need to get information from the cloud server but there is no internet service for the cloud access.

As for the firmware 1.1, it would only stop the communication with TP-Link un-authorized third-party program, such as home assistant, and would not affect the normal use of Kasa.

Thank you very much!

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:HS100 plug - Device Unrechabel
2020-11-12 08:07:03

Update:

Hardware: 4.1

Firmware: 1.1.0

Good news the Scheduled restart worked and now I can see the plug again.

As the switch is controlling the cable modem, when it is off there is no internet. I specifically got this plug as it works in a local network mode, and has done for several days. This feature appears to have stopped working.

Rather than using direct power off/on I can setup a schedule to do this, so I can still use the plug.

I would still like to resolve why it is not working with no internet connection.

Options
2020-11-12 14:00:49
Sounds like you might not be directly connecting to the switch but instead the app is trying to go through the TP Link cloud service. One reason is if your phone is on your 5GHz signal - it might work if you force your phone onto the same part of the network as your switch (the 2.4GHz signal).
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2020-11-12 14:44:15

@MikeP sounds interesting, I am not sure how I force my tablet to use 2.4Ghz or even why that would matter as it just puts me on the network? Or does the phone/tablet connect directly to the plug? I supose I could add a littel old 2.4Ghz wifi access point just to try it.

Options
2020-11-12 16:40:07
Kasa searches locally for the switch but won't find it from the 5GHz side - the protocol doesn't flow across bands. Most often you can rename your 5GHz SSID (don't rename the 2.4GHz or the HS100 won't be able to connect). Use your phone/tablet's wifi settings to select the 2.4GHz SSID for the connection and restart the kasa app. There's another report in the community that a firmware update to newer HS100's have broken the API - it might be related.
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
Re:HS100 plug - Device Unrechabel-Solution
2020-11-18 10:03:31 - last edited 2020-11-18 10:05:12

@Nebbs 

Good day,

When the modem was off and Deco had no internet, as long as the smartphone was still on the same network(2.4Ghz or 5Ghz) as the plug's(2.4ghz), we would still see and control it on the Kasa APP.

But if the smartphone switched to 3/4G mobile data already or the plug was disconnected from the Deco network, the plug is no longer accessible since APP might need to get information from the cloud server but there is no internet service for the cloud access.

As for the firmware 1.1, it would only stop the communication with TP-Link un-authorized third-party program, such as home assistant, and would not affect the normal use of Kasa.

Thank you very much!

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 742

Replies: 5

Related Articles