Web auth for internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Web auth for internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Web auth for internet
Web auth for internet
2020-11-12 18:53:51
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My Internet service provider requires me to authenticate into their web portal after a few hours of inactivity using their public ip. Since internet would be down without authentication, tp link router displays a proxy message on browser when the public ip is accessed instead of just forwarding the traffic out to the gateway.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Web auth for internet
2020-11-13 08:50:11

@Solu 

Hello, who is your ISP? Is there a modem in front of the C6 router? What is the WAN connection type on the C6?

How long will they allow for inactivity of the public IP? 

Is the C6 newly purchased? Have you ever used any other brand router, will it behave like this?

When there is no activity in the network, how about the internet LED on the C6, will it become orange?

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-11-13 09:01:04

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin,

I have an optic fiber to ethernet converter infront of this router which also acts as a gateway to this router.

I have static IP configured on the wan interface.

I was able to resolve the problem by replacing the public DNS IP I had on the static wan IP settings with the next hop private gateway IP and configured the public DNS on the LAN DHCP settings for the lan hosts. Now, I get the isp auth page properly.

yes, it is a new router and I had Linksys router before. typically a few hrs of inactivity triggers auth(some where around 4-5 hrs). The Leds were green even when the auth is not possible.

Options
2020-11-13 09:31:41

@Solu 

Hi, thanks for getting back quickly.

I got that, and it's glad to know it resolved by changing the DNS servers on the C6, thanks for sharing this valued info with us.

Good day.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options