Wired Backhaul not working through switch.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-13 22:34:04
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

Hello everyone,

So I've been trying to get this wired backhaul to work through a TL-SG105 switch. I orginally had a Netgear switch in place but it wasn't working and I assumed it was the supported protocall issue so I switched to the TP link switch. 

However if I unplug the secondary unit from the main deco (currently wired directly) and then plug it in to the switch it will revert to wireless backhaul and never get a wired backhaul link. I've tried to reboot the secondary unit, reset it completly and readd it, all to the same effect.

Currently my Setup is as follows (that works)

5port 1gb Switch (TP switch)

Internet  Pluged in to TP switch port 5

Main M5 Deco Plugged in to tp switch port 1

Secondary M5 Deco Plugged in directly to secondary "main deco" port

DES-1024d (24port 10/100) for cameras and low BW devices Plugged in to Port 3 of tp switch

16 Port 1gb Netgear Switch thats run to my home lab and my desktop plugged in to port 4 of tp switch

When I take the cord from secondary m5 and plug it in to port 2 of the 1gb switch it reverts to wireless backhaul (though the switch is lit).

I've tried the backhaul feature through my other switchs as well and they dont seem to work either. I'm not sure what could be going on as if I simply move the cord from the main deco to the switch it shouldnt have any effect besides routing traffic through the switch to the secondary m5. I'd really like to try to fix this as I'd like to add a couple more M5 APs. They work quite well and replaced a set of older UAPs I had.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Wired Backhaul not working through switch.
2020-11-14 00:42:36

@stealth125 

I am curious if you run your Main Deco in Router mode or in Access Point mode?

Deco App can tell:

Options
2020-11-14 01:08:51

@Alexandre. Currently Router mode, it handles my DHCP services.

I can offload that but I do enjoy the easy to use parental controls. While they can be replicated I do enough of this at work that I would rather not need to setup IDS/IPS and firewalls at home too.

And it does work fine for wired backhaul if they are directly plugged in to each other, its only when I try to use a switch that I run in to an issue with wired.

Options
2020-11-14 02:09:56 - last edited 2020-11-14 02:22:01

@stealth125 

The configuration you have will not work for Satellite Deco in wired mode with Main Deco in a Router mode. Looks like M5 is smarter than I thought: when Satellite Deco realizes it can't use wired backhaul to Main Deco to build a mesh, it tries wireless and succeeds. Kudos to TP-Link software developers.

What you are facing is explained in TP-Link FAQ: https://www.tp-link.com/ca/support/faq/2399/

It has three pictures at the bottom of an article. I would have labeled them better, so here is my interpretation:

Picture 1 - you run Deco in Router mode and connect both Main Deco and Satellite Deco to same networking switch/ISP router. Not OK.

Picture 2 - same configuration, but Deco in Access Point mode, which is OK.

Picture 3 - you run Deco in Router mode and connect Satellite Deco to Main Deco either by Ethernet cable or by WiFi. Also OK.

Two possible solutions:

1. Reconfigure Deco to run in AP mode.

2. Put Main Deco in front of your switch, making it like that:

Internet  Plugged in to Main Deco M5 port 1

5port 1gb Switch (TP switch) plugged in to Main Deco M5 port 2

TP switch port 1 connects to Main Deco M5 port 2

Secondary M5 Deco Plugged in to Port 2 of tp switch

DES-1024d (24port 10/100) for cameras and low BW devices Plugged in to Port 3 of tp switch

16 Port 1gb Netgear Switch thats run to my home lab and my desktop plugged in to port 4 of tp switch

Port 5 of tp switch - available (not in use)

If these two solutions do not work for you, at least you know where the problem is and could figure solution that does work for you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1276

Replies: 3

Related Articles