[Solved] VPN traffic leads to device being banned by Archer VR2800v

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-14 07:22:39 - last edited 2020-11-16 00:59:33
Model: Archer VR2800v  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.0 0.9.1 v006d.0 Build 200708 Beta.51748n

Dear community,

I'm facing a weird issue with my neighbors router (device mentioned above). Here is the setup:

1. Neighbor's router is connected to internet
  2. He shares his guest wifi with me
  3. I have lots of devices connected to this guest wifi, they work like a charm
  4. One device, let's call is work laptop, is banned after a while

This work laptop is configured to open a vpn connection to my employer and route all traffic through this vpn connection. So almost all traffic the router ever sees generated by work laptop will be encrypted and have the same destination ipv4-Address. My employers vpn does not use ipv6.

The "ban", for lack of a better word, presents itself as follows:

1. work laptop connects to guest wifi
  2. work laptop is assigned an ip by router's dhcp server
  3. work laptop connects to vpn, all is fine
  4. after a certain time, like 2 hours of video conferences, connection suddenly drops. Work laptop says it's connected to wifi, but has no internet access.
  5. from this point on, work laptop can connect to wifi but is never again assigned an ip address by router's dhcp server

Changing work laptop's mac address fixed the issue for a short time, but then it just reappeared following the same structure as outlined above. Using a Wifi-usb-stick lead to the same result. We also had an android phone that had been working nicely with the guest Wifi. After using it to bring work laptop online through usb-tethering, the android phone has been banned from guest Wifi, too.

This means, as of now, 3 devices have been banned by the router following extended vpn traffic observed through these devices.

Can anyone please point me towards a solution for this problem?
We are not aware of any filters being set up, but maybe we are missing a setting somewhere.

The issue being associated with vpn traffic is just an idea and isn't proven yet.

The router runs a German firmware and is operated in Germany. Problem occurs on 2GHz and 5GHz wifi, I think.

Any help is appreciated, please ask questions if I need to provide more details!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:VPN traffic leads to device being banned by Archer VR2800v-Solution
2020-11-14 14:11:21 - last edited 2020-11-16 00:59:33

Try accessing WebGUI of the router and in Security section - Firewall & DoS Protection , see if your "work laptop" is listed in that table:

If you see you device listed in this table, delete the entry from the table to enable the Internet access of your "work laptop".

Then disable the DoS Protection.

Since this is a form of security mechanism it is better to be enabled and tweak those settings to be able to handle your "work laptop" traffic demand:

Further downthere:

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:VPN traffic leads to device being banned by Archer VR2800v-Solution
2020-11-14 14:11:21 - last edited 2020-11-16 00:59:33

Try accessing WebGUI of the router and in Security section - Firewall & DoS Protection , see if your "work laptop" is listed in that table:

If you see you device listed in this table, delete the entry from the table to enable the Internet access of your "work laptop".

Then disable the DoS Protection.

Since this is a form of security mechanism it is better to be enabled and tweak those settings to be able to handle your "work laptop" traffic demand:

Further downthere:

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:VPN traffic leads to device being banned by Archer VR2800v
2020-11-15 16:46:48 - last edited 2020-11-16 00:59:33

@Ivaylo Thank your for pointing me towards the DOS-Setting. Disabling the DOS protection and clearing the blacklist, as described here, solved our issue for now, and I hope it will be solved for good.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 582

Replies: 2