Can't connect Archer C4000 to Origin Broadband

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-14 20:00:00
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

And having spent 2.5hrs (one of them on hold) to their support, neither could Origin.

I replaced the Archer with the original Origin Asus a couple of times to check that there was actually a live internet connection, which there was.

Origin support were not able to give much advice based on the TP Link interface screen as the titles differ from those they are used to.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Origin emailed me these settings:

• Username and password are fine.
  • Transfer mode VDSL WAN (PTM) (could not find where to check this)
  • Enable? Yes (could not find where to amend this)
  • WAN Connection type PPPoE
  • 802.1Q enable? Yes (*could not find where to amend this)
  • VLAN ID 101 (could not find where to amend this)
  • MTU 1480
  • TCP MSS Option 1440 (could not find where to amend this)

They were not sure where these options should be applied in the TPLink interface.

They also gave me primary and secondary IP addresses of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (which I tried with no luck).

The screen on my TP Link interface:

--------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------

Options
10 Reply
Re:Can't connect Archer C4000 to Origin Broadband
2020-11-14 20:32:23 - last edited 2020-11-14 20:43:10

@Brix 

Have you tried accessing the administration console of the Archer device via PC/Laptop web browser, rather than a mobile device?

There are probably more items that need configuring that you are not able to view via  web mobile.

This C4000 is a WiFi router and not a modem.

Options
2020-11-14 20:43:49
Thanks. No I haven't. Was planning to do that - although it had not occurred to me that the options would be fewer on the app. My house is currently let on airbnb so I didn't have my PC with me. Expected it to be more straightforward!
Options
2020-11-14 20:56:17 - last edited 2020-11-14 20:57:55

Where is the embarrassed emoji? Can I simply use the other router as a modem. Or will that hamper the performance of the C4000? What sort of modem do I need - or are they all much of a muchness? (First time I've bought anything that has not been supplied by the ISP).

(I did suspect that it was router only but instructions mentioned being able to connect without a modem direct to the wall ...)

Options
2020-11-14 21:08:29

@Brix 

You could put your original Asus back in, then connect a network cable from the back of the Asus origin to the blue port of the Archer wifi router (it might need configuring).

Existing modem (Asus Origin) <--->Network cable <---> Blue port of WiFi archer.

Could give that a go, see how you get on.

Options
2020-11-14 21:16:34

@Brix - It does have a modem, sorry I gave wrong info.

Maybe the emulator might help you to find out which parts need filling in, since you already have some login details. 

https://emulator.tp-link.com/c4000-v3/index.html

Options
2020-11-15 13:20:40
I'm still a bit confused to be honest. Are you sure this has a modem? If not, and I use it as an extender with my current Asus DSL N16 , will that hamper its performance? I bought it because when multiple devices connected to my Asus it would often cut out - all connections whether through home PLugs or the router itself would still show a wireless connection but say "no internet". The ADSL light would still be on. Switching the router off and on would usually sort the problem (but not always). If I were to get a straightforward modem, what sort of thing would I need?
Options
2020-11-16 07:50:10

@Brix 

Hello, upon checking, it seems that the Asus DSL N16 is a wireless modem router, while the Archer C4000 is only a wireless router, you will need a modem or modem router in front of this Archer C4000.

Simply by checking the line connection from your Internet Provider, if it is a rj11 telephone line, then you need a DSL modem router; If it is a rj45 Ethernet cable, then you can use this Archer C4000 directly.

If the connection line is a rj11 telephone line, you either connect this Archer C4000 to the existing Asus DSL N16 with an Ethernet cable or return it with a DSL modem router.

I hope this makes sense.

Options
2020-11-16 09:54:53

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks Kevin_Z. Yes makes sense.

How important is the quality of the modem? By that I mean, should the one in the Asus be fine to use with the TPLink Archer - or will the quality / spec of the modem have a lot of impact on the performance of the router?

Not having much luck finding standalone DSL router.

This is for home use - multiple zoom users, sending large video files, streaming media.

Options
2020-11-16 10:35:16

@Brix 

Hello, thanks for getting back.

If you want to have a stable connection with the Archer C4000, the internet connection on the front-end modem router should be stable, at least the DSL internet connection must be stable, otherwise, the internet connection from the DSL modem router to the C4000 will also be intermittent. If you want to use the Origin Asus DSL N16---Archer C4000, it is suggested to check and ensure the internet connection on the Origin Asus DSL N16 is stable first.

Options
2020-11-16 10:45:37
Thanks. Do you mean stable signal to the wall. According to the ISP that is very stable with very few drop outs. Lights on the ASus seem to support this. The problem I have been having with the Asus (and the reason I upgraded to the Archer) is that when multiple users connect, I sometimes lose connection. That is to say, wireless connections between devices and the Asus router remain but show as "no internet connection". Also, wireless connections to Home Plugs remain but they are also shown as "no internet". (Home plugs are connected to the router by ethernet). The green ADSL light remains on. And no connection drop is reported to the ISP.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1456

Replies: 10