Access point mode with same SSID as isp router. Still need bridge mode/ip passthrough or not?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Access point mode with same SSID as isp router. Still need bridge mode/ip passthrough or not?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-15 03:30:43 - last edited 2020-11-15 03:38:46
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 2.3.2

if i set the deco M4 up as access points (i have the 3-pack), can i set the SSID the same as my ISP router's SSID?  Will there be interference?  Do I need to set up ip passthrough or bridge mode in this case?  

Options
9 Reply
Re:Access point mode with same SSID as isp router. Still need bridge mode/ip passthrough or not?
2020-11-16 05:54:07

@chumba 

Good day!

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

It is ok to have the same SSID as the ISP router.

And there is no need to set up IP pass-through or bridge mode.

As for the interference, there would be some Wi-Fi interference since theoretically, there are still two different SSIDs.

And some devices would have some delay when switching from the ISP router to Deco M4;

Thanks a lot.

Options
Re:Access point mode with same SSID as isp router. Still need bridge mode/ip passthrough or not?
2020-11-16 06:39:39

@TP-Link_Deco 

Thanks for the reply.  To reduce the interference from two same SSIDs then in my case (all 3 decos in AP mode), should I change the SSID of the deco and (even when in AP mode) and assign some devices to the deco SSID and some to my ISP router SSID?

Options
2020-11-16 14:08:08

@chumba 

If you want worry free network with Deco nodes in AP mode, you should turn off WiFi on your ISP router.

Here is how I added Deco mesh to my network:

1. Disabled WiFi on my ISP router. All WiFi connected devices disconnected (obviously). No other changes done to ISP router.

2. Connected Main Deco to ISP router with Ethernet cable and configured it with same SSID and password that ISP router had. Set Deco to run in AP mode.

3. Configured Satellite Decos.

4. Moved Satellite Decos to desired locations.

5. Meanwhile, all wireless devices seamlessly reconnected to Deco mesh.

As a result, ISP router still manages network and provides wired access Internet, Deco mesh provides WiFi. No conflicts or headaches whatsoever.

Options
2020-11-16 16:20:46

@Alexandre.  Thanks, when you say turn off wifi is that simply disabling the 2.4 and 5ghz wifi in the settings on my ISP router?  .. no need to put into bridge mode and/or ip passthrough?  I have the deco set up now as access points, with same ssid/password as the ISP router, running alongside one another.  Are you suggesting I simply log into the ISP router now and disable the wifi? 

Thanks so much!! 

Options
2020-11-16 17:07:09

@chumba 

This is correct: when you run Deco in Access Point mode all you need to do is log into the ISP router and disable WiFi in its settings.

To make sure we are talking the same thing when referring to Access Point mode, this is what Deco App should report under Operating Mode:

Options
2020-11-16 18:25:52

@Alexandre. 

Sounds simple enough to me! I just hope nothing weird happens when I disable wifi on the ISP router (hopefully all connected devices will auto learn to connect to the deco access point with same ssid/password). 

Options
2020-11-18 16:41:12

Well, I just disabled 2.4 and 5ghz wifi on my isp router..  now the 5ghz wifi seems to be missing on my devices (can't connect to 5ghz).  2.4ghz SSID is still fine and broadcasting.  I have 5ghz and 2.4ghz showing as enabled on my deco app.  The deco is in access point mode as described above.  Any ideas?

Options
2021-10-25 20:32:10

@Alexandre. I am going to proceed exactly this way.  I'm just lost on how you set up the main M4 when you previously disabled Router WIFI.  How the app "see" the M4?  Cheers, Sergio

Options
2021-10-25 21:25:02

@SioComani 

I am not totally sure about details, but I think Deco unit in configuration state creates its own temporary WiFi SSID, to which Deco app can connect for configuration.

By default, Deco starts in Router mode. Assuming you do not have any other WiFi router in your house and you create your home network from nothing, with Main Deco as router, Deco app must have some way to connect to Main Deco, right?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8267

Replies: 9

Related Articles