AC 750 Extender as access point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-15 11:22:07 - last edited 2020-11-16 01:03:44
Model: RE200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

Forgive my incompetence! 

I have a bit of a weak area in terms of wifi in my kitchen and want to improve it. We had our house re-wired recently and when that was going on I had Cat 6 cable put in to try and solve future wifi problems. Net result is that I have an ethernet port in the kitchen which runs back to the main router (Sky). I thought in my ignorance I could buy a range extender which had access point mode to solve my issues. In some ways it has, but not in the way I would like. I have been through the set-up with Tether app and the Extender is in Access Point mode. However I now have two wifi networks showing up on my devices (phone), one of which has the _EXT extension which is the extender. Although I can happily connect to it manually and have good internet access this presents a problem. That is that the main reason for getting this was to improve the connection for my Sonos system which needs all speakers on the same wifi connection. So having this extra network is no good to me as other rooms with Sonos are on the existing network.

Basically what I want to do is set up the extender/access point to broadcast my existing wifi without any other networks. That way all Sonos products should have good connection, all on the same network.

If anyone could help me with the steps to do this I would be very grateful. I have tried looking at threads etc but cannot find a solution.

Thanks again

Options
2 Reply
Re:AC 750 Extender as access point
2020-11-16 09:56:25

@Lozza1 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

For the SSID of the RE200, you could manually change it to be the same as home router;

If you are using Tether APP, please go to tools—wireless-wireless name and password;

If you used Web UI, please log into via http://tplinkrepeater.net and go to settings>wireless;

Thanks a lot.

Options
Re:AC 750 Extender as access point
2020-11-16 18:17:54

@Solla-topee 

Thanks. This is the solution I have used elsewhere where I just need internet access. The problem with doing it that way is that there are still two networks but they have the same name. In other words some of my Sonos connects to one and others to the different (yet same name) one. Net result is that in theSonos app, you only see the speakers that are connected to the same network that my phone is currently linked to. I had hoped that an access point was essentially he'd wired and just cloned the signal from the router it is connected to and broadcast it from there. Is seems in order to do that I need something else-mesh maybe??

Thanks anyway

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 634

Replies: 2

Related Articles