Speed issue with only one Deco M5 out of 3

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-17 09:03:13 - last edited 2020-11-20 01:46:03

Hi all, I'll try to be as descriptive as possible here, please bear with.

I have 3 x Deco M5 AC1300 units.

• VM hub is set to modem mode
  • Unit 1 downstairs is hard wired to my Virgin Media hub - No issues with speed (200MB +)
  • Unit 2 upstairs - No issues with speed (200mb+)
  • Unit 3 upstairs has a PC connected to it with ethernet cable - Issue with speed on both the PC and wireless (7 to 12MB)

What I've done so far.

• Ensured all Deco units are up to date
  • Rebooted all Deco units
  • Unplugged PC from Unit 3 (The one with speed issue), rebooted and left PC unplugged and connected a wireless device (to ensure PC wasn't causing the problem) - Slow speed
  • Brought said wireless device downstairs so it connected to Unit 1 - No issues with speed
  • Took wireless device back upstairs so it connected to unit 3 - Slow speed
  • Tried different WIRED device (laptop) and connected to unit 3 - Slow speed

To summarise, it appears that I have an issue with just one of my Deco units, giving slow speeds on both wired and wireless devices.

Please could anyone offer any advice?  More info maybe required, please ask 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Speed issue with only one Deco M5 out of 3-Solution
2020-11-19 14:37:05 - last edited 2020-11-20 01:46:03

@manamaga 

You still haven't said if your run your Deco mesh in Router or on Access Point mode. If it is Router mode, this should work with the switch back in the picture:

That can also work in AP mode, but in AP mode you can also connect switch to Hub and Main Deco  to switch, like in your original diagram. You can't in Router Mode.

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:Speed issue with only one Deco M5 out of 3
2020-11-17 09:50:24

@manamaga 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Just to make sure that the slow speed is not caused by the location, have you tried to change the location of the unit 2 with unit 3?

By the way, how long have you had the Deco and when did this issue start?

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-11-17 10:11:07

@TP-Link_Deco Both units (upstairs) 2 and 3 are the same distance from the main deco unit 1 downstairs but I will try this shortly.  With regards to when I purchased them, it was 5th August this year.

Options
2020-11-18 16:16:26

@TP-Link_Deco OK so I swapped units 2 and 3 upstairs and it would appear to be a location issue.  So how could the speed of unit 3 be improved please?

Options
2020-11-18 17:50:03

@TP-Link_Deco I'm thinking if this would work or not if you could please confirm.

• Unit 1 hard wired to Virgin Media hub (in modem mode) as normal. Then using the spare ethernet port on unit 1, hard wire to an unmanaged switch
  • Then from unmanaged switch, hard wire a powerline adapter
  • In the room with poor speed - Set up a second powerline adapter to the PC in that room, essentially giving that PC a full wired connection back to unit 1

Not sure if that is doable or not?

Options
2020-11-18 18:14:57

@TP-Link_Deco Sorry for the crude drawing, please could you confirm if this setup would work? I can see this is the only wat to get a hard wire direct from the source because the current hard wire from unit 3 to PC is too slow.

Many thanks. 

Options
2020-11-19 13:59:22 - last edited 2020-11-19 14:00:56

@manamaga 

My two cents. 

What you have can work, but only if you run Deco in Access Point mode.

Even then, this network diagram can be improved and simplified. Each Deco has two Ethernet ports, think of them as three-port switch, one port is used to connect Deco internals to, two ports are available and exposed. 

With that concept of each Deco already hooked to its switch, this is what diagram can become:

Note that this setup will work for both Router and Access Point modes of your Deco mesh. You should get improved Internet speeds not just for Windows PC but also for any WiFi device connected to Deco M5 Unit 3.

Options
2020-11-19 14:13:06

@Alexandre. Thanks for that, much appreciated. Just to confirm, this diagram above, do you do that or is it the one I did? I've lost track as I've done so many 😂

Many thanks

Options
2020-11-19 14:23:22

@manamaga 

I used diagram you made and edited it.

Changelog:

1. Removed Unmanaged Desktop switch;

2. Connected Main Deco to Virgin Hub and to Powerline Adapter Downstairs, utilizing both Main Deco ports;

3. Connected Powerline Adapter Upstairs and Windows PC to Deco M5 Unit 3 upstairs, utilizing both Deco Unit 3 ports.

Options
2020-11-19 14:27:06
No, that's great, thanks. I just realised why i introduced an unmanaged switch downstairs, because I currently have a Hive hub using the one spare ethernet port on the Deco downstairs, so i would need somewhere to keep that connected.
Options
Re:Speed issue with only one Deco M5 out of 3-Solution
2020-11-19 14:37:05 - last edited 2020-11-20 01:46:03

@manamaga 

You still haven't said if your run your Deco mesh in Router or on Access Point mode. If it is Router mode, this should work with the switch back in the picture:

That can also work in AP mode, but in AP mode you can also connect switch to Hub and Main Deco  to switch, like in your original diagram. You can't in Router Mode.

Recommended Solution
Options