Multiple (3) RE 650 extender problems

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-18 19:18:44

i purchased and set up 2 RE650's several months ago.  Subsequently found there was still a low internet spot in my kitchen (probably due to walls).  I was told by TP Link that i could attach a third RE650 so I bought another.  My problem has been trying to get them to work together.  It took quite a while to get the third extender working because it accepted 2.4ghz fine but not 5 ghz.  Then on another attempt it accepted 5ghz but not 2.4 ghz.  Finally i get both working and now both of the original extenders have seemingly lost their 5 ghz signals.  I'm hesitant to start over so am hoping someone can offer a solution or insight.  i am using the same router connection for all 3 range extenders, ie not daisy chain connecting them.  

Options
2 Reply
Re:Multiple (3) RE 650 extender problems
2020-11-20 03:24:01

@Mythos 

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

Are you able to run a cable to connect the 3rd RE650 to the nearest extender or even the router?

------(and since you already have 2 extenders, it would be much better that you could consider the powerline expansion for the last Wi-Fi dead zone if the whole house is under the same electric meter;)

If not, did you use the same SSID for all the RE650s and home router?

---it would be much better to have a different SSID.

By the way, what is the model number of your home router?

Have you tried to reverse the IP address on the home router for different extenders?

Thank you very much.

Options
Re:Multiple (3) RE 650 extender problems
2020-11-20 20:26:31

TP-Link wrote

@Mythos 

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

Are you able to run a cable to connect the 3rd RE650 to the nearest extender or even the router?

------(and since you already have 2 extenders, it would be much better that you could consider the powerline expansion for the last Wi-Fi dead zone if the whole house is under the same electric meter;)

If not, did you use the same SSID for all the RE650s and home router?

---it would be much better to have a different SSID.

By the way, what is the model number of your home router?

Have you tried to reverse the IP address on the home router for different extenders?

Thank you very much.

@TP-Link 

thank you for reaching out.  I have limited tech experience but can give you some info.

attaching a cable is not an option geographically.

all 3 range extenders are set up using the same router but I tihnk as I was experiencing troubles I might have switched the 3rd RE to the 5G SSID

Interestingly enough that might have been why I lost 5G on the first 2 RE650s but get a really good signal on the 3rd RE650 now.

the IP address and MAC address used for each RE650 is unique to the range extender

Router is a Hitron 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 588

Replies: 2

Related Articles