Bandwith control concern

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Bandwith control concern

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Bandwith control concern
Bandwith control concern
2020-11-20 00:39:18
Model: Archer C50  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 0.2 v0093.0 Build 190125 Rel.63783n(4553)

Hi everyone, I'm trying to setup bandwith control on an Archer C50 but I have some doubts. I have only used this feature once with a certain laptop in my home that uses dropbox, onedrive and google drive to upload files and used to take up all the upload bandwidth, ruining every other device's access to the internet. I know how to set up bandwidth control so I created a rule to limit its upload speed and it worked perfectly. Now I changed my service provider (and my internet speed) and I wanted to put some more rules to distribute the bandwidth more fairly. My question is this: I understand the router assigns the minimum configured speed to each device covered by a rule, and then, if there's bandwidth left, it gets assigned to each device, serving the ones with the higher priority first. If there's a device (with a rule) connected but not consuming anything at all, or consuming less than its minimum, does his leftover "portion" gets reassigned? Or is it forcibly assigned to that device only, in which case it is wasted if the device doesn't use it? 

To make it more clear, I'll explain it with numbers: lets say I limit a certain device to have minimum 256 kbps for both upload and download. If that device is connected and using, lets say, ~128 kbps on both, does the remaining 256-128=128 kbps of bandwidth can be assigned to some other host? Or does it stay "idle", waiting for that device to use it?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Bandwith control concern
2020-12-10 07:07:45

@Gustav92 

Hi, if client A doesn't use all the bandwidth you assigned, the rest will be assigned to others.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 313

Replies: 1

Related Articles