TP Link wifi extender model RE300 - WPS connection has set wrong password on extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP Link wifi extender model RE300 - WPS connection has set wrong password on extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-20 11:21:23 - last edited 2020-11-23 08:24:19
Model: RE300  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I used WPS to establish the connection between my router and the extender.

This seemed to work, and I got three steady lights on the extender (power, connected and 2.4G). My devices (a laptop and an android phone) are both showing the _EXT and _5GEXT networks available, so, apart from the 5G indicator on the extender not lighting up, everything looked good ...

The password on the extender should have been the same as the router password, but instead it seems to have set itself to a random string of 64 hexadecimal characters (is this a 32-byte UID ?). The password on the router is unchanged)

Also, the router claims to be dual-band 2.4 / 5 G, but the extender only seems to recognise the 2.4G band. I followed the instructions and repeated steps 1 and 2 of the WPS setup, but this still only lit up the 2.4G light on the extender. As mentioned above, my devices are showing the _EXT and _5GEXT networks.

The router was supplied by SSE when they installed a fibre connection for me. According to the label on the back, it'sm model is  'techicolor DWA0120'

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TP Link wifi extender model RE300 - WPS connection has set wrong password on extender-Solution
2020-11-23 08:23:57 - last edited 2020-11-23 08:24:19

@Pagoni 

Good day.

Thanks a lot for your time and patience.

Sorry for the delay.

Have you tried to set up the RE300 via Tether APP, instead of WPS, such as :

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1373/

After that, if the RE300 is still not able to detect the 5ghz, please try to change the 5ghz channel on the Technicolor DWA0120 to be channel 40/48;

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:TP Link wifi extender model RE300 - WPS connection has set wrong password on extender-Solution
2020-11-23 08:23:57 - last edited 2020-11-23 08:24:19

@Pagoni 

Good day.

Thanks a lot for your time and patience.

Sorry for the delay.

Have you tried to set up the RE300 via Tether APP, instead of WPS, such as :

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1373/

After that, if the RE300 is still not able to detect the 5ghz, please try to change the 5ghz channel on the Technicolor DWA0120 to be channel 40/48;

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 727

Replies: 1

Related Articles