My Macbooks aren't pinging each other while connected to TP-Link Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-20 11:28:42
Model: Archer A9  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.0.6 Build 20200114 rel.73164(5553)

Hello,

I'm having 2 Macbooks and they are connected to my TP-Link. Recently, I need to connect these Macbooks to each other but realised that they aren't able to ping or communicate.

Tried to ping them from the router using diganostics but they are responding "Request timeout for icmp_seq"

Then, I tried to ping my mobile phone connected to the TP-Link router network and it responded as expected.

At first, I thought it to be a Macbook firewall issue somehow blocking these devices to be pinged within the LAN but then after switching to some other router, my Macbooks are able to ping and communicate with each other.

Can you please suggest what can be issue? And how can I connect them with each other while connected to the TP-Link Router?

Thanks in advance.

Options
5 Reply
Re:My Macbooks aren't pinging each other while connected to TP-Link Router
2020-11-24 03:05:57

@rahulbasu 

Hello, can you confirm again if both MacBook are connected to the same 5GHz network? Is it possible to connect them to the A9 with Ethernet cables to confirm if they can communicate or ping?

You may also connect them to the same 2.4GHz network to confirm as well. 

When they connected to the 5GHz network, what are the IP address on both MacBooks?

Options
2020-11-24 15:57:15

@Kevin_Z Thanks for responding.

My Macbook 1 is connected through Ethernet port with assigned IP address 192.168.1.100 and Macbook 2 is connected through WiFi 2.4GHz with assigned IP 192.168.1.110

Interestingly, both my Macbooks can ping other connected devices like mobile phones, tablets etc connected to the router using WiFi. I would like to mention this again that initially I through it to be some type of Macbook Firewall issue but later found that the firewall are turned off in the Macbooks and they are able to ping each other or connected each other over LAN when connected to other router OR even if I turn the phone as a hotspot and connected both Macbooks to the phone.

Options
2020-11-25 03:49:59

@rahulbasu 

That is weird. What if they are connected to the same 2.4GHz network or via Ethernet LAN?

BTW, what is the detailed OS version of these two MacBooks? Are there any advanced setting like firewall or DoS protection on the A9? You may try to disable them and see if that makes a difference.

Options
2020-12-01 15:51:15

@Kevin_Z Thanks for reverting back.

Below are the responses.

1. What if they are connected to the same 2.4GHz network or via Ethernet LAN?
    Macbook Pro 1 (192.168.1.166) has WiFi connection only and I generally connect it to A9 using Smart Connect thus caring the least about 2.4GHz or 5GHz. Macbook Pro 2 (192.168.1.166) has Ethernet LAN port as well as WiFi and I generally use to connect it to A9 using Ethernet LAN. After receiving your reply, I did the following changes: 1. Turned off Smart Connect 2. Turned of 5GHz Wireless at A9 and kept 2.4GHz only. 3. Connected my Macbook Pro 1 to A9 and since 5GHz is turned off, it has no other options left other than 2.4GHz. 4. Removed Ethernet LAN from Macbook Pro 2 and connected to A9 using WiFi. 

Then I first pinged the router A9 at 192.168.1.1 and got the response. I pinged one Macbook to another :( Nothing came. I tried Macbook Pro 1 to ping itself and there is no reply. Same for Macbook Pro 2. The only ping replies I'm getting is If I ping the router, my mobile phones, tablets, other connected devices to A9.

2. BTW, what is the detailed OS version of these two MacBooks?
    Macbook Pro 1 runs on High Sierra Version 10.13.6 while Macbook Pro 2 runs on Catalina Version 10.15.7

3. Are there any advanced setting like firewall or DoS protection on the A9? You may try to disable them and see if that makes a difference.

Firewall is disabled both from Macbooks as well as A9. DoS protection was disabled. But still the issue persists.

Options
2020-12-02 03:18:16

@rahulbasu 

Thank you very much again for all the detailed info, we have emailed to follow it up, please check your email box and confirm, good day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 424

Replies: 5