Deco M9 - new Echo Dot 4 will not connect to WiFi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-20 19:30:16 - last edited 2021-07-28 00:51:57
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.3 Build 2020921 Rel. 42500

I've just purchased a new Amazon Echo Dot 4 to add to my existing smart home (I already have Echo 8, Dot Ver 1, 2 & 3 that all work perfectly). However during setup the new Dot 4 refuses to connect to my Deco M9 mesh system. I have tried all the various options in the deco app:

1. Just using 2.4ghz, then trying just 5ghz

2. Disabling fast roaming and beamforming, individually off and both off

3. Changing wifi security to all options including disableing security

4. Using guest wifi network 

5. Using WPS option on all nodes

Despite trying all the variations above that I can think off, the Dot still refuses to connect. In desparation I contacted Amazon and they thought the new Dot 4 may be defective and sent me a replacement, which I really thought would resolve the problem. Alas not, the new (2nd Dot 4), also refuses to connect to the Deco M9 mesh!

Thus apart from returning the 2nd Dot 4 I'm all out of options that I can see to try resolve the problem.

At this point I'm thinking its either an incompatability issue with the Deco M9 (with Dot 4) or a problem at Amazons end with the Dot 4 firmware - being that all my other generation Dots & Echo 8s work perfectly!

I've also followed the 2nd pin post about one device not connecting, none of the solutions work.

I'm open to any further suggestions and interested to know if anyone else has the same problem?

Options
9 Reply
Re:Deco M9 - new Echo Dot 4 will not connect to WiFi
2020-11-26 12:23:59

@Blotch 

I have just gone through the same experience with 4th gen echo dot trying to connect to M5 mesh, even getting a replacement from Amazon but the problem persists

Looks like an incompatibility with Decos.

Options
2020-11-27 08:50:40

@Graeme_E   Agree it's incompatible with Deco mesh (both M5 & M9). I gave up and sent both Dot 4s back in the end. Question is whether it's a problem with Dot firmware or Deco firmware! I've asked Amazon to report my findings to the Alexa engineering team.

Options
2020-11-28 17:55:36

@Blotch 

Hi,

i use 2 Echo Dot 4 and there is no connection issue. I use 2x M9 Plus (V2) and 1x M5 (V3)

It works like all other Wifi Devices. So there is no general problem with Deco an the Dot 4.

kind regards,

Sascha

Options
2020-11-30 14:54:35

@Blotch 

Success. I checked the hardware versions of my M5's and had 3 x V1 and 1 x V3. I then made the V3 the main deco and it worked.

Options
2020-11-30 22:48:36

@Graeme_E 

Graeme_E wrote

@Blotch 

Success. I checked the hardware versions of my M5's and had 3 x V1 and 1 x V3. I then made the V3 the main deco and it worked.

Pleased you managed to get it working 👍

Options
2020-11-30 22:52:35

Woffe wrote

@Blotch 

Hi,

i use 2 Echo Dot 4 and there is no connection issue. I use 2x M9 Plus (V2) and 1x M5 (V3)

It works like all other Wifi Devices. So there is no general problem with Deco an the Dot 4.

kind regards,

Sascha

@Woffe  Do you know which Deco the dot 4 is connecting to? Maybe it's connecting to the M5, the test would be to unplug the M5 and see if the dot4 still works (connecting to an M9). I Would be interested to know the outcome if you don't mind testing? 

Options
2020-12-01 20:28:29

@Blotch 

It's connected to second M9 Deco. This Deco is connect to main Deco with WiFi Backhaul. 

Kind regards, Sascha 

Options
2020-12-01 20:41:25

@Woffe Thank you for testing 🙏 that's great it's connected to M9, but makes my problem even more confusing, the only thing I can think of now is that perhaps some Dot4 came out with different software installed! My M9s are all version 2. I've had to return two Dot 4s now after trying every combination I can think of to connect to wifi - and on 2 separate and independent wifi routers! I've now ordered a dot 4 with clock to see if that works fingers crossed

Options
2020-12-02 02:20:14

@Blotch 

Hi, I am quite interested in what would be going on, and please feel free to keep me updated as well.

Thank you very muchsmiley!

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2387

Replies: 9