Tinnitus since Deco M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Tinnitus since Deco M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Tinnitus since Deco M5
Tinnitus since Deco M5
2020-11-22 11:42:45
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20201022 Rel. 66804

I've installed the Deco M5 some 6 months ago. 

Before the WiFi signal was provided by two TpLink WiFi routers and wasn't so powerful. 

I used to turn of WiFi at night, to give us some "radiation-rest" while asleep.

I used to control this from a wired Linux box, turning it of via the Web Interface of the TP Link router or sceduling wifi down time using OpenWrt.

Because I was not able to get a stable WiFi signal in my house, I purchased a Deco M5 system. This provides a stable WiFin my house, but I can't control it to turn of WiFi at night. The feature is not available in the Deco system.

Now, I'm experiencing tinnitus and it's increasing. I've turned off the Deco System by pulling the electricity plug at night for a couple of nights and it made the tinnitus less. 

I saw several requests for a scheduling feature for the Deco systems on this forum.

So here's another one!

Please provide one, or some way to manage the system using e.g. http rest calls or ssh commands or ways to logon to the system secure and add cron jobs/shell scripts to manage the system better.

Thank you in advance. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Tinnitus since Deco M5
2020-11-22 13:22:00

@HansD Sorry to hear this, quick question, do you also see your neighbors WiFi networks? Maybe all together is too much? Where I live, I can see about a dozen of more or less strong WiFi signals from the neighbors. What is also quite irritating is the fact that every router you can buy transmits with full power, whether it is needed or not. And the transmit power is then for a normal router selectable, low, mid or high.

If TP-Link is reading this, I would not only to recommend to provide us the possibility to turn off WiFi using a timer or similar function, I would also like to ask for if we can have a setting that allows to select transmit power for Deco systems or maybe implement a function where a Deco unit is automatically reducing transmit power if possible (e.g. no WiFi system connected to the router).

Options
Re:Tinnitus since Deco M5
2020-11-22 18:37:58

@StardustOne Well of course my neigbours also have their WiFi stations. But they had it already long before I purchased the Deco M5. The walls in my house are pretty good at providing a 'faraday sheild' as they're made of reinforced concrete. It's just that the Deco M5 is providing a strong 'mesh' signal (I've got 3 of them to cover my house). I think I can balance the situation if I can turn of the WiFi at night. Sleep time, recovery time :-).

Options