P9's working much better after update to firmware 1.1.2 - link stable and using powerline & wifi now

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

P9's working much better after update to firmware 1.1.2 - link stable and using powerline & wifi now

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-23 10:47:14 - last edited 2021-03-05 11:31:22
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.2

I was having big problems with my deco's only linking via wifi and constantly dropping connection between main unit and one of the satellites.  The light on the problem unit was constantly flashing red/blue.

Since updating to firmware 1.1.2 all of the connection issues seem to have been sorted (1 week in)

After the firmware update on each unit, i did have to reboot the main unit, then after the main unit was online reboot the satellite units, before the deco app started showing they were linked via wifi and powerline.

Fingers crossed its stays this way!

Options
11 Reply
Re:P9's working much better after update to firmware 1.1.2 - link stable and using powerline & wifi now
2020-11-23 11:02:27

@Vaux_2 Excellent, Thank you very much for sharing. heart

Options
Re:P9's working much better after update to firmware 1.1.2 - link stable and using powerline & wifi now
2020-12-03 13:48:56

@TP-Link Checking for a firmware update today, the app says I'm up-to-date but on version 1.1.0 Build 20200513 Re. 52023.

I'm in the UK if this means a later release date to the orginal post on this thread.

I am finding that my iPhone 11 isn't switching from one P9 hub to the other very well - all set to AP mode.  I'm on the hunt for a solution for this which lead me to this thread. 

Cheers

Robbie

Options
2020-12-03 13:54:54

If your deco's are V2 then 1.1.1 is the highest firmware version just now.

Mine are V1's so different firmware

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/deco-p9/v2/#Firmware

see the drop box at the top of the page in the link to change between v1 and v2

Options
2021-02-17 19:41:55

@Vaux_2 I am looking at purchasing the P9 3 pack.  Do you know if I can use it as Poweline and Wifi at the same time?  I want to connect the main P9 to my router and powerline, then connect an ethernet cable between a satalite P9 and my sons xBox, and then ethernet between the other satalite P9 and my work PC.   I intend the Wi-Fi boost to serve the rest of the household.

Options
2021-02-17 19:50:56

@k275 

Yes, it uses powerline and WiFi at the same time, see the signal source in the screenshot from my Deco app below.....PLC being the powerline

You have it right, ethernet cable from router to main P9, then you can either connect devices via WiFi or ethernet from the satellite P9's.

Since the firmware update above, I've had no issues with the current setup, working very well.

Had to reboot everything once but I think that was due to the router.

Options
2021-02-17 19:56:12
That is great, so it does not need any special set up for this - it is both a powerline passthrough and wifi booster? I had considered the TL-PA9020 AV2000 2-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit - but it sounds like the Deco does the same with the added benefit of Wi-Fi boost?
Options
2021-02-17 20:50:33 - last edited 2021-02-17 21:09:44

The units link simultaneously via WiFi and powerline.

Each unit is also broadcasting a single, unified wifi network for your WiFi devices like phones to connect to. As you move around with your phone, it will automatically change which P9 you connect to.

You can also plug devices in via the 2 ethernet ports on the side of each P9.

Options
2021-02-17 20:50:34
The units link simultaneously via WiFi and powerline. Each unit is also broadcasting a single, unified wifi network for your WiFi devices like phones to connect to. As you move around with your phone, it will automatically change which P9 you connect to. You can also plug devices in via the 2 ethernet ports on the side of each P9.
Options
2021-02-22 14:26:50

@Vaux_2 You're correct about the way each unit works and this works fine over here. 

Unfortunately the powerline connection seems very unstable. Although the P9 units are not at an ideal position to each other to be connected by WiFi, I thought they would never loss connection to each other because of the powerline connection. Since I use 1.1.2 (Build 20200918 Rel. 74476 - latest version he's able to find), I have a lot of connection drops and Red pulsing LED's (Deco is disconnected from main Deco). This is a very annoying issue!

Options
2021-03-03 22:09:51

@Joster I've just updated to firmware 1.1.3 this evening (for V1 decos).  Not even showing up as available to download on the website yet.  Info in the app said it included stability fixes.  Only visible difference i can see is the upload/download speeds for each individual deco are now displayed.

Try positioning the units closer together so you can test that they do link reliably.  I don't know how good/bad the wiring in your house is so hard to say how well it will work.

The P9's i bought are in my parents house which is a 120 year old farmhouse, wiring is obviously not that old but its certainly not new, hasn't been touched in the last 30+ years by anything other than mice since they've lived there!  Wifi will link with either 1 or 2 bars, powerline seems pretty although no way to measure the connection.

Try to get them working well, then try to move them further apart and see how well they work.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 2477

Replies: 11