remote OpenVPN not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-23 12:37:43 - last edited 2020-11-24 14:11:56
Model: Archer A2300  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20200714 rel.30791(4555)

Hello,

I'm trying to connect set OpenVPN, I connects on lan, but I can't connect outside my lan. IP adress is public, I'm able to connect via PPTP, but cannot connect with OpenVPN. Any suggestion?

Thank you in advance.

Regards

M. J.

Options
8 Reply
Re:remote OpenVPN not working
2020-11-25 09:15:20

@Muzdrav 

Hello M. J., sorry to hear that you are encountering an issue with the OpenVPN setup on the A2300.

Please help verify some details, and we will try to figure it out:
1. Kindly check the below VPN setup instructions again to confirm all the settings on the A2300 are correct:
How to use OpenVPN to access your home network through the Wi-Fi Routers
BTW, please also provide us your network topology.
2. If the above guide doesn't help, please tell us what is the WAN IP address of the A2300 and it is suggested to configure the DDNS:
How to set up TP-LINK DDNS on TP-Link Wireless Router?
3. Please check the VPN Tunnel: login the web interface, and on the VPN Server-> VPN Connections, we can see the status of the VPN Server, confirm if there is a VPN connection enabled. If not, which means the VPN setup is not successful.
4. Check the Firewall and Anti-Virus software on the server: generally, Windows Firewall would block the packages from the VPN Client, disabling the firewall on Windows PC for "public" and "private" network will be helpful. Windows Firewall is located at "Control panel->System and Security->Windows Firewall/Windows Defender Firewall".

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Options
2020-11-30 06:03:17

@Kevin_Z Hello,

thank you for your reply, I was able to make it work (my internet provider had to set forwarding to my router's ip).

I wanted to ask, if you could tell me, how fast the connection with OpenVPN can be? I know it won't be great, but what how much percent will the connection be slowed down?

I have ca. 25mb/s download and ca. 12mb/s upload, but the openvpn connect shows 500kb/s at max, mostly, it sits at 30kb/s.

Options
2020-12-01 02:17:28

@Muzdrav 

Are you using UDP or TCP connection on the OpenVPN configuration? You may share us the screenshot, thanks.

BTW, how is the A2300 router connected in the network, is there another modem router from your ISP? What is the WAN IP address on the A2300?

Options
2020-12-01 05:54:35

@Kevin_Z Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

• currently I'm using TCP, Port: 60498, VPN Subnet/Mask: 10.10.0.1/255.255.255.0
  • from the internet provider's satellite, the cable goes into the router' wan, then there is another router connected via cable as an access point.
  • Static IP of the router is 11.11.3.110

Regards

M. J.

Options
2020-12-01 07:19:27

@Muzdrav 

Hi, thanks for all the details. What if you disconnect the access point in this network, and leave the devices connected to the A2300 directly?

BTW, this issue may need to escalate to our engineers, and they will email you, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox and respond.                      

Good day.

Options
2020-12-01 13:50:34

@Muzdrav 

Hello,

the computer I'm connecting to is not connected via the acces point, but it is connected directly with a cable to the main router with openvpn. This shouldn't be the probelm.

If anyone could help me, I would be glad.

Thank you.

Options
2020-12-02 07:00:56

@Muzdrav 

I see, thank you for clarification. Our engineer had emailed you, please check your email box.

Options
2021-08-04 04:36:29

I finally got this to work.  In addition to turning on VPN Server as described, I needed to set up port forwarding on the cable modem (external TCP port 1194 on the modem to internal IP of the router (192.168...) and port 1194) so the router could be reached from external networks.  After that, I needed to map the ports of the apps I wanted to use (in my case RDP 3389) under NAT forwarding - Virtual Servers on the TPLink router.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3237

Replies: 8

Related Articles