Votes

Initiate outgoing VPN connections, ipsec preferred

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-23 19:46:17
Model: TL-MR6400  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

Hi,

the MR6400 is a 4g lte router. Most cellular providers do not provide a public routable v4/v6 address. The IPs are typically NATed. This makes is difficult to connect to the local network using the VPN options OpenVPN and pptp. 

Thus, please provide an option to _initiate_ vpn connections to an external host. I'd prefer an ipsec v2 connection that the lte router keeps alive. This would allow to connect to the lan using the tunnel even with an private IP of the cellular connection.

I'd assume that some keep-alive is required so that the NAT does not close the connection.

Thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:Initiate outgoing VPN connections, ipsec preferred
2020-11-26 06:22:17

@C4SG 

Hello, thanks for your suggestions. This would be a good idea, but I don't think if we can add this kind of feature on the MR6400. Anyway, this is noted, and we will keep an eye on this kind of request. We will ask our developers to evaluate it at a proper time, thanks again.

Options
Re:Initiate outgoing VPN connections, ipsec preferred
2020-11-27 11:49:45

@Kevin_Z 

For your prioritization, please keep in mind that the VPN functionality in it's current form is not working with _every_ user behind a NAT from the cellular provider- from what I know this is the majority of cellular connectivity user. For those users, adding any outgoing VPN option would help.

In my case, I would not mind removing the OpenVPN and PPTP server if this could allow for an outgoing IPSEC connection.  Alternatively, an outgoing OpenVPN connection would help too. (PPTP is too Windows focused.)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 496

Replies: 2

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.