Deco M5 half speed in access point mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-24 18:39:47 - last edited 2021-01-18 08:37:01
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

Hello,

I'm having problem with my Deco M5 routers (2pack).

My topology is:
                                                      / deco m5 main
Huawei router - switch tp link 1gb
                                                      \ deco m5 secondary

My internet speed is 1000/100mb.

Im using Deco M5 in access point mode and i'm only having 550-580mb speed via builtin speedtest in deco app.

Real wifi speed 5g near router with my iPhone 7 is around 350-450mb/s.
Doesn't matter if im near main or secondary deco, similiar speeds.

So the point is, when I'm switching Deco to router mode I can see 900-980mb/s (as it should be) in deco app.
I guess it's problem with QoS and lack of QoS option in access point mode.

What I should do to use my decos with full speed?
I can't change this Huawei router since it's connected with my ISP.

Best regards

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M5 half speed in access point mode-Solution
2020-12-28 10:17:55 - last edited 2021-11-04 07:32:57

@himura5555 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your concern about this case.

The beta firmware is only useful when you haven’t updated to the latest firmware 1.5.1.

And as for the half-speed issue, it only happens to access point mode since the speed test on Deco APP would require a lot of CPU power from the Deco. When the CPU is overloaded,  the measurement might not be accurate.

It would not affect the real download/upload bandwidth on the clients though and they could reach full speed if you run a speed test on these devices.

We will keep optimizing the speed test feature along with the firmware upgrade and please always keep your Deco up to date.

Thanks a lot for your understanding and support.

Recommended Solution
Options
33 Reply
Re:Deco M5 half speed in access point mode
2020-11-25 03:40:06

@srwzbk 

Good day.

In case there is any misunderstanding and could you please confirm the following information:

1. When the Deco is on the access point mode, speed test on the Deco APP, it is 550-580m/s download; and testing on the IPhone 7 when it is connected to Deco M5’ Wi-Fi(not Huawei router), it is 350-450m/s;
  2. But when the Deco is on the router mode, still the same topology, speed test on Deco APP, it is 900-980m/s, and how about the speed test on the client itself?
  3. The Huawei router, it is a wireless modem router right?

Thank you very much!

Options
2020-11-25 11:55:14 - last edited 2020-11-25 11:55:53

@TP-Link 

1.Yes, Huawei WIFI is completly turned off.
2.You mean speed on iPhone 7? Well it's hard to say, because having DHCP on main deco causing some weird router behaviours. I would say its more or less same as when its in AP mode. I haven't done much test, becuase network started working really weird and reverted back to AP really fast. Setup in AP mode seems to be stable in case of connection, range but speed is halved and seems to be capped because of lack of QoS settings.

3.Huawei router is my ISP router with 1000/100mb optical fiber. It's Huawei EG8145V5.

Options
2020-11-29 02:40:14

Anyone gonna help me?

Options
2020-11-29 11:49:48 - last edited 2020-11-29 11:56:23

@srwzbk I have exactly the same problem. The fibre router provides 1Gb speeds which I can measure with a Mac connected directly to the fibre router. However the Deco built in speed test shows about half this speed. This is confirmed by connecting the same Mac to the ethernet port of the Deco router, the speed is halved. 

I thought I'd see the main Deco running at the same speed or very slightly less than the speed of the fibre router but the Deco seems to max out at about 500Mbs. This is very disappointing as the Deco is throwing away half the available bandwith. 

Note that all the connections being used are WIRED. I am very well aware that WiFI, both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks, have performance limits but I am not testing Wifi performance. The bottleneck is the Deco unit itself.

Options
2020-11-29 15:38:28

@FredRabbit 

Yeah, exactly. You have same problem in Access Point and Router mode or just in AP?

Options
2020-11-29 17:42:53

@srwzbk I'm using Router Mode. 

I will try Access Point Mode when the network is quieter but I suspect I will see the same results

Options
2020-11-29 17:44:25

@FredRabbit 

Also, I am NOT using any QoS features.

Options
2020-11-29 18:29:12

@FredRabbit 
I'm not sure if we have same problem. When I'm using AP mode speed test via Deco app is 500~mb, when I switch to router mode im having 1000~mb in deco app.
Seems like your problem is cap on both settings, I feel like my problem is that AP mode has QoS settings that cap my speed to 500~.

Options
2020-11-30 10:29:10

Still no help from TP Link support, what is kinda pathetic. I think I should just refund or sell this router.

Options
2020-11-30 11:17:17

@srwzbk Configured as an Access Point, the speeds are very close to what I get when I bypass the Deco and connect directly to the fibre modem. So that seems to solve my problem. Test speeds depend on the Test Server I choose but that's always the case with Internet speed tests. The speeds via the builtin Deco speed test are close to what I get using the Ookla test on a Mac connected directly to the Deco using a wired connection. 

In Router Mode(the default)  I see the upload and download speeds capped at around 500Mbps. I can only assume that there is extra overhead or inefficiency in using Router mode and that accounts for the speed degradation. 

However, everything seems to be OK in Access Point mode so I'll stick with that. Sorry, in earlier posts I might have muddled AP and Router modes. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 10300

Replies: 33

Related Articles