Deco M5 half speed in access point mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 half speed in access point mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
33 Reply
Re:Deco M5 half speed in access point mode
2021-01-18 02:46:01

@TP-Link I did speedtest on clients, and I got same speedtest results as if it was done on Deco mobile app. Is there any updates regarding this issue? I messaged you for the beta firmware.

Options
2021-01-18 08:45:37

@kyrex 

Hi, thanks a lot for all your feedback.

We would like to forward your case to the senior engineers for further assistance.

Please have a check of your email box later.

Options
2021-09-26 14:09:37

@TP-Link 

I'm having the exact same issue. Gigabit fiber internet, deco plugged into ISP router. When running speed test (on m5 or on client) I'm getting full speed when in router mode, but half speed (500mbps) when in AP mode. Is there a fix for this bug?

Options
2021-11-04 04:02:16

@TP-Link

Precisely the same issue here, connected on AP mode with updated firmware (1.5.3 Build 20210203 Ref, 68223).

They were tested on the app, showing 100% speed. But, tested on the devices (laptop, desktop, Android mobile, and iPhone) through Wifi, all showing 50% of the original speed.

My speed is only 100mbps.

Does anyone from TP-Link reply on this issue?

Options
2021-11-04 07:39:41 - last edited 2021-11-04 07:42:32

TP-Link wrote

@himura5555 

And as for the half-speed issue, it only happens to access point mode since the speed test on Deco APP would require a lot of CPU power from the Deco. When the CPU is overloaded,  the measurement might not be accurate.

It would not affect the real download/upload bandwidth on the clients though and they could reach full speed if you run a speed test on these devices.

We will keep optimizing the speed test feature along with the firmware upgrade and please always keep your Deco up to date.

Thanks a lot for your understanding and support.

@MartinChew 

Hi, actually I am afraid your case is just the opposite.

So it would be highly appreciated that you could start a new thread with the following information:

1. Please leave me a private message about the MAC address of your main Deco.

1. A screenshot of the speed test on the Deco APP.

2. A screenshot of the speed test on the clients on 5ghz.—it would be great if you could test the Ethernet speed from the main Deco as well.

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-12-13 10:04:57

I seem to have this exact same problem and I only noticed it now because my ISP offered me a free speed boost.

My setup:

Linksys rouer to 3 deco m5 with wired backhaul.

Did the test using iperf3 to a server I have wired to the main deco. If I plug my laptop directly to the switch, i get 500mbps. If i am connected to deco #2, i get 250 only. Thats basically half of half my actual speed (1/4). It should be a full gigabit considering I am testing an internet server.

My problem is I cannot use the m5 as my main router since my linksys runs my VPN.

Any help?

Options
2022-01-10 07:03:20

@Alieno 

Hi, Thank you for your message.

The speed test under the access point mode sometimes could be inaccurate.

So I wonder when Deco M5 has tested half speed in access point mode, how about the speed test on the clients themselves, and would they also get half speed. or not affected?

Options
2022-01-10 11:04:04

I just wonder if TP Link support are trolls who doesn't read the thread and just type whatever.

Me and 99999 other users reported that there are problems with bandwith and QoS (or lack of it) in access point mode.
You need to understand that device you sell isn't working properly as access point (due its technology it is sold as access point primarly).

I tested everything, every single part of my network and the problem is Deco m5 itself. Everything works perfectly on other routers, laptops.
Deco is limiting its speed. Can you understand it finally?

And now its even worse that it automatically somehow dropped my bandwith to 100mbps from 1000mbps after updating to the 1.5.7 version of firmware.

Some users report to restart device manually - not via app on phone or webpage.

This device is piece of sh*t - if you want to get rid of problems refund it while you can.

As you can see i made a thread 2 years ago and still didnt get any solution and even my speeds dropped from 550mb (should've been at least 700mb standing next to deco...) but its now limited to 100/100mb. Its a joke.

Options
2022-01-16 03:19:38 - last edited 2022-01-16 03:22:17

I had a similar problem with my deco reflecting only half of my subscription speed. I went to the QOS and just edited the Total Bandwidth, get internet speed test and the hit test and saved it. Once it has recorded the proper speeds, I ran a speed test and it is now matching the actual speed test.

Options
2022-01-16 12:02:17

@anechiwaa but you are probably talking about router mode which has QOS. We are talking about access point mode which doesen't have this option.

Options
Related Articles