Deco S4 - Awful 2.4Ghz performance

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-25 20:48:25 - last edited 2020-11-25 21:49:28
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.3 Build 20200918 Rel. 77820

Hello

I recently got a triple pack of Deco S4's, upgrading from a Superhub 3, and I've been pleased with the performance of the 5ghz network. I get full speeds of 100mbps

However, some of my devices are older, and they can only connect via the 2.4Ghz network. 

The speeds are awful on these devices, and unfortunately they do not work well at all, sometimes barely loading. These were the kind of speeds I got. It's pretty appalling. 

Can anything be done about this?

I tried setting up a guest network which only had the 2.4ghz band available, and connected to it using my new Laptop, and got the same result. 

I do not think it is due to the range, as I am only 1 room below the router, and the 5ghz network has less range than the 2.4ghz but is providing a better speed.

I also don't think it's due to interruptions on the network, as I only recently switched from a Virgin Super Hub 3, and that router had no issues with the 2.4ghz network. So this is really disappointing. The 2.4ghz network is more capable than this. 

Is this a common problem with Deco mesh devices? 

Thanks

Options
8 Reply
Re:Deco S4 - Awful 2.4Ghz performance
2020-11-26 07:22:27

@ConcernedUser 

Good day,

We would like to follow up on your case by email.

Could you please help me check the following information:

1. Did all the 2.4ghz devices have the slow speed, less than 1m/s?
  2. How many 4ghz devices do you have and what are they?
  3. Could you please help me check the wireless link speed on this device , such as https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/ ?

Thank you very much!

Options
2020-12-04 12:42:53

@TP-Link 

Hey, thanks for the repsonse. I'm not sure I got your mail. 

Sorry for the late reply, I had been testing different things and trying to see what might be causing the issue.

1)Yes, All the 2.4ghz devices do have this slow speed. 

2) I have around 15-20 devices on the 5ghz network, only around 6 or so using the 2.4ghz network. The 5ghz devices vary, the 2.4ghz is a chromecast, older laptops and older android devices. 

3) I was able to check the link speed on my Laptop, it showed as 300mbps. On my phone, it fluctuated from as low as 15mbps to as high as 144mbps. This is while I connected it to the guest network which I set up to only broadcast a 2.4ghz signal, as these devices would otherwise connect to the 5ghz network and I'd have no way to test on them.

I have 3 Deco S4's. I have my main Deco plugged into my router which is in modem mode. My Main deco has a TP Link ethernet switch connected to it, and all ethernet ports on the switch are in use, though all the devices aren't always on.

While I'm not certain, what I seem to have found is that only the main deco has the really slow 2.4ghz speed. The 2.4ghz network on my upstairs and downstairs nodes works OK.  My ethernet speeds may also be slower than they were before, though I'm not 100% on this. 

The speed seems to fluctuate at complete random. Currently I only have 2 devices connected to the 2.4ghz network. A few minutes ago, I was getting great speeds of over 70mbps, then a few minutes later it dropped down to around 1mbps (yes 1), and then it can hover around 10mbps. 

Options
2020-12-08 01:27:48

@ConcernedUser 

Good day,

In this way, I think it is more related to the network condition.

And there might be much interference on the 2.4ghz band, which caused the instant link speed as well as the final download speed.

Since currently, Deco S4 did not support changing channels and we might need to wait for the future firmware upgrade to improve the current condition.

Really sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you very much for your understanding and support.

Options
2020-12-08 03:00:33

@TP-Link I appreciate the repsonse but I don't think what you are saying is accurate. 

My old Virgin Media Superhub 3 never had this problem, and I only changed around a month ago. I don't see how it can be a problem with interference when my old hub worked fine. 

I have even tried it when most devices in the room were switched off. In fact, I went to the room my main Deco was in and placed my phone right next to the Deco and got the slow speeds. That can't be due interference. 

In addition, my other nodes work fine on the 2.4ghz network, it's just my main one that is having issues. 

Options
2021-01-05 17:38:46

@TP-Link To further update, the performance just seems all around spotty. Directly after a reboot, the speeds will be fine on 2.4ghz, but some time after, it will drop off again. I do not understand why this happens, and I really don't think interference can be blamed. 

In addition, I have noticed that the 5ghz network is also having issues. There's an area of the room where speeds will drop down and fluctuate, yet take 2 steps towards the center of the room, and speeds will jump up to what they should be. To clarify, this room is directly below the room with the router. 

This, again, does not seem like interference, and I would appreciate any tips or troubleshooting steps. Please don't ignore me on this forum. 

Options
2021-01-14 02:25:26

@ConcernedUser 

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Sorry for the long delay.

Since the latest Deco APP added a feature called Deco lab /Wi-Fi assistant, which could be seen on the following page:

Could you please help me run the following test:

1. change another Deco as the main Deco and unplug the previous main Deco; https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2400/

2.turn off the 2.4ghz band on the main network enabled the guest network for 2.4ghz only;

3. then use the Wi-Fi assistant to check the 2.4ghz guest network and also run the speed test on the Wi-Fi assistant and the clients;

--if the 2.4ghz guest network sounds ok now, please add the old main Deco back and stand next to it to check the 2.4ghz speed again so that we would check if there is anything wrong with the 2.4ghz band on this Deco.

Thanks a lot and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-02-01 00:18:33 - last edited 2021-02-01 00:21:19

@TP-Link Hello, I have done all of these. I tried everything I could. Changed the main unit, reset the Decos. No matter what, the 2.4ghz network is spotty. I set up my old router again, and that has much more consistent 2.4ghz speeds. 

How do you explain this? What can you do? I don't think the S4's should be performing like this. It's always the main Deco that has the issues, the other ones seem OK. My old router that I set back up is in the exact same place my Deco was with the same setup.

It seems that if I reboot the network, it will work OK for a day or so. Then it goes back to being slow. I'm not 100% on this last part though. What would you do in a situation like this? What can you do to help fix this? I find it odd the S4's would have this flaw. 

Options
2021-03-03 08:21:16
Ignored?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1227

Replies: 8

Related Articles