Placement of Deco M9 plus, vertical or horizontal does it matter?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-26 00:26:43 - last edited 2020-11-26 00:31:32
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.3 Build 20200918 Rel. 75286

My current setup for 2 decos as follows:

Secondary Deco M9 plus connect to TPlink SG105 (SWITCH) by CAT6 ethernet cable. The switch is connecting directly to the main Deco M9 plus.

I placed the secondary 300mm above floor level and the base of Deco M9 plus is facing the wall. See the photo.

Does this placement of the Deco affect the signal? I can't get Wifi5 signal in my bedroom which one wall and less than 15m distance between my phone and Deco M9 plus

Options
5 Reply
Re:Placement of Deco M9 plus, vertical or horizontal does it matter?
2020-11-26 05:53:19 - last edited 2020-11-26 05:53:46

@Lenz 

Good day.

Thanks a lot for your patience.

It would affect the signal of the Deco a little bit.

Normally, the signal on the horizontal level would be stronger than the vertical level.

When the Deco was placed like the picture, the horizontal signal would be weaker than the vertical direction.

And due to gravity reason, the internal module would change its position for long time usage which might shorten its service life.

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-11-26 06:39:38

@TP-Link 

Hi. Tks for your reply. Does the height of placement of the Deco affect the signal too?

Options
2020-11-26 14:28:44

@Lenz 

My Satellite Deco M9 is also wall mounted, on second floor of my house. I wonder if your house has better walls and heavier bedroom doors, as mine gets quite good coverage with 5Ghz.

Here is my setup:

Satellite Deco M9 is mounted 140cm above the floor. No reason, just already had screw at that height in the wall.

Deco is mounted in corridor between bedrooms.

The longest distance between Deco and bedroom external walls/windows is 7m, about half yours.

When I walk to the furthest point of largest bedroom, and bedroom door is closed, I am getting 5GHz WiFi signal strength -57dBm (which is good signal strength)

At that location, when I run speedtest from smartphone, I am getting 290-300Mbps. My ISP Internet is 300Mbps.

For comparison purposes, if you walk 7 meters away from your Deco, what level of signal and download speed you will be getting? What is your ISP Internet speed?

PS. It was somewhat dissapointing to learn "the internal module would change its position for long time usage." For some reason "Wallace and Gromit" came to mind, hopefully Deco internals are not made of clay. 

Anyway, I am going to risk it, because it is the Deco with the right form factor for narrow corridor I have between bedrooms, and because I am getting really good 5GHz coverage all over the house with Deco M9.

Options
2020-11-27 13:29:51 - last edited 2020-11-27 13:32:25

@Alexandre. 

Mine 7m away from Deco, the signal for bedroom door opened was about -54dBm, door closed was about -56dBm

Speedtest at 7m door open was 262Mbps, door closed was 210Mbps.

Both speedtest done with Deco set QoS to standard and for Anitvirus only turned on 'Intrusion Prevention System'.

Deco position remains as shown in the photo in my first post.

Options
2020-11-27 14:25:41

@Lenz 

Results very similar to mine. Looks like you may need to add another M9 about 7m away from your Satellite Deco, to get 5GHz coverage 15m away from it.

I don't think it would make the difference if Deco is 30cm or 140cm above the floor. Especially considering beamforming capabilities TP-Link advertises for Deco hardware.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4297

Replies: 5

Related Articles