Archer C4000 Keeps Randomly Rebooting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-26 06:01:38
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20100827 rel.78773

My Archer C4000 keeps rebooting randomly. 5 mins then 10 mins then it goes hrs then reboots. How do I make this stop? There are no available updates. 

Options
10 Reply
Re:Archer C4000 Keeps Randomly Rebooting
2020-11-26 08:49:25

@Holy_Father 

Hello, thanks for reporting the issue but please provide some details about the auto-reboot issue then we will try to investigate and offer a solution ASAP.
1. When the router restarts, are all the LEDs turn off then on automatically and the internet on it will temporarily down then recover? How long does this process take?
2. May I have your network layout, how is the C4000 connected to your network? Are there any other range extenders or switch in the network? If yes, try to remove it first and confirm again.
3. Who is your ISP and what kind of modem are you using? Is it a Dynamic IP setup on the C4000 WAN or PPPoE?
4. How many devices are connected to C4000, wired, and wirelessly? What are they? Is there any new device connected to the C4000 network recently when the C4000 begins to reboot? Or did you upgrade any system in the network before this issue happen, such as iOS 14?
5. Is there any other setting or feature in your network that may cause this restart issue, or is there any special operation/activity in your network that causes the C4000 to restart, such as high loading or real-time calls?
6. Is it the original power adapter on the C4000? Is the power stable in your house? How about other electrical devices in your house, are they stable?
7. Ensure its firmware is up-to-date, then try to reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure it from scratch to confirm again.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-12-01 20:14:41

@Kevin_Z 

1) Yes all the lights go off, the internet goes down then it boots back up. This takes about 30 seconds to complete.

2) The C4000 is connected directly to the modem. There are no network ext or switches as i dont own either. 

3) My isp is Charter Communications and im using their latest modem(Link). The setup is Dynamic IP, i selcted auto detect. 

4) Currently there are 11 devices that connect to the C4000. They are never all connected at the same time due to 3 of the devices not living here. At my last home there was oly 8 devices connected 2 directly wired included. The Xbox one is currently directly conected to the router via cable, all other devices are connected wirelessly(Another xbox one, 4 iphones((8 plus -11 pro max)), a windows laptop, a chromebook, and a ipad pro and mini. There are some new devices also, this issue started 9 months ago randomly as the router was in use. However, it started after the most recent update. the previous update did not have this issue and operated fine. it was the version that was on there at purchase. 

5)I've reseted the router to default settings when this issue started in the past and only made changes to the passwords, QoS, and client settings such as names and priority. I gave the one of the xbox one consoles priority.  no other features or functions were modified. There are no realtime calls happening as we do not use voice on the modem or router, if thats wha you meant. of lately ive noticed that when a device reconnects to the router after long periods of not being connected it makes it reboot, like it stated prevoiusly it also reboots while normal use or both xboxs and all iphones not ipads are connected. So it basiclly does it whenever there is or isnt much activity on the router. I also connect the data hungry deviced to the 5G band and the low data devices to the 2.4G band. 

6) Yes. Yes. Yes.

7) Although I've done this already, you're suggesting i do it again?

Options
2020-12-02 02:41:30

@Holy_Father 

Hello, thank you very much for all the detailed info, we have emailed you with some other suggestions, please check and confirm.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-12-02 05:10:04

@Kevin_Z 

how do I change the transmit power? 

Options
2020-12-02 05:34:18

@Holy_Father 

You may login to the web GUI of the C4000, go to Advanced-Wireless>Wireless Settings, then you will find the Transmit Power option.

Options
2020-12-13 05:47:18
I'm having the exact same issues. Could you please tell me your suggestions that were emailed?
Options
2020-12-13 16:39:38

@Huh In the email they suggested that I downgrade the firmware back to the version that worked. Well when I tried that, it made the router worst so they ended up replacing it.

Options
2021-05-10 11:59:34

@Holy_Father 

I am having the same issue recently.

Firmware: 1.1.1 Build 20190827 rel.78773(5553)
Hardware: ArcherC4000 v2.0

I had the issue since yesterday and I upgrade to the above mention version. It stopped rebooting every hour... until today... happens again.

Options
2021-05-11 08:10:51

@Savienus 

When did you purchase this router? You may try the suggestions we mentioned earlier, if none of those helps, we recommend reaching out to the local tech support, so they can work with you in looking into the issue further or help with the replacement:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/contact-technical-support/#Hotline-Support

Options
2021-05-11 08:25:19

@Kevin_Z 

I did a full factory reset and see how. Bought this unit like 2yrs ago. Will update if it is stil having the issues.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1564

Replies: 10

Related Articles