Can I move them around after setting them up?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-26 12:41:37 - last edited 2020-12-14 01:14:31
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

When I set each one up, I had to say what room it was in. The house has a complicated layout, so one Deco might be actually be within range of two or more of its "siblings", and able, theoretically, to pick up a strong signal from one but a weaker signal from another. Once I have given a name to the Wifi network (say, "Ann's WiFi"), and have ALL my Decos installed to that network, does it matter if I move some Decos to different locations? For example, if a particular Deco initially "learned" during installation to pick up its signal from Study Deco, and was at that time physically closer to Study Deco than to any of the others, and then I choose to move Study Deco and Living Room Deco both to different walls, will other Decos automatically adjust? Or will they insist on continuing to pick up a (now weaker) signal from the one they "learned" to connect with, even though a different one is now closer? Thanks. Ann

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can I move them around after setting them up?-Solution
2020-11-27 12:51:36 - last edited 2020-12-14 01:14:31

@Anirishwoman 

You can move Deco units around, and also you can rename them in smartphone Deco app. The name of the Deco unit is for your convenience. 

Deco nodes do not memorize which Deco to pick signal from, but if you read this forum you'll find that selection of which Deco to pick signal from is not always optimal. It seems Satellite Deco prefer to connect to Main Deco, as long as signal is sufficiently strong. Which means, Satellite Deco might ignore stronger signal from another Satellite Deco and connect to Main Deco with weaker (but sufficient) signal.

I can give reasons why preferring Main Deco could make sense, but for some people it does not, because as a result their Internet speed for device connected to Satellite Deco could be suboptimal.

As of today, there is no configuration option to tell Satellite Deco which Deco to connect to. Also, TP-Link Support is vague in explaining what is the definition of "sufficiently strong" signal, making it more challenging to find a spot for Satellite Deco where it will decide not to connect to Main Deco.

Long story short: you can move Deco nodes, but if they don't pick up signal from Deco node(s) you want, you may need to move them again to a different spot. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Can I move them around after setting them up?-Solution
2020-11-27 12:51:36 - last edited 2020-12-14 01:14:31

@Anirishwoman 

You can move Deco units around, and also you can rename them in smartphone Deco app. The name of the Deco unit is for your convenience. 

Deco nodes do not memorize which Deco to pick signal from, but if you read this forum you'll find that selection of which Deco to pick signal from is not always optimal. It seems Satellite Deco prefer to connect to Main Deco, as long as signal is sufficiently strong. Which means, Satellite Deco might ignore stronger signal from another Satellite Deco and connect to Main Deco with weaker (but sufficient) signal.

I can give reasons why preferring Main Deco could make sense, but for some people it does not, because as a result their Internet speed for device connected to Satellite Deco could be suboptimal.

As of today, there is no configuration option to tell Satellite Deco which Deco to connect to. Also, TP-Link Support is vague in explaining what is the definition of "sufficiently strong" signal, making it more challenging to find a spot for Satellite Deco where it will decide not to connect to Main Deco.

Long story short: you can move Deco nodes, but if they don't pick up signal from Deco node(s) you want, you may need to move them again to a different spot. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Can I move them around after setting them up?
2020-12-13 23:22:29

@Alexandre. Thank you. That's a really clear and helpful answer. Ann

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 7730

Replies: 2

Related Articles