Multiple RE650 setup - DHCP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-01 17:15:27
Model: RE650  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Questions re setting up multiple RE650s with non TP Router.

- do I need to allocate (static) unique IP addresses to the RE650s or will they get them via DHCP from the main router

- I read that RE650's have own DHCP option (ie act as DHCP server).  I assume I should turn this off and have conencting devices get their IPs allocated by main router

- Am I better giving each RE650 a unique SSID, or the same SSID but different from the router, or have everything on the same SSID

Options
4 Reply
Re:Multiple RE650 setup - DHCP
2020-12-03 14:50:21

@BD42 

I have not assigned static IP's to my chain. And they have both the same name one for each frequency. These are different from the router.

And it has be running fine, but recently I moved the router a little. That means that I am now on a real chain where the 2nd access point cannot "see" the router. That opens a few new issues:

I have to connect the close one first before I connect the far away.

Also (and this one is new) the far away may turn red despite there is still connection to the internet. Any yes I am connected to the faraway one.

Options
2020-12-03 16:30:02

Thanks @Steen.  I'll see how I get on.

Options
2020-12-04 07:00:20

@BD42 

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

Once RE650 is connected to the router successfully, it would turn off its own DHCP server and obtain IP address from the main router.

And it would be much better to have a unique SSID on each RE650.

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-12-04 13:59:49

@TP-Link 

TP-Link wrote

@BD42 

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

Once RE650 is connected to the router successfully, it would turn off its own DHCP server and obtain IP address from the main router.

And it would be much better to have a unique SSID on each RE650.

Thank you very much.

Also when you chain them to make your own kind of one-mesh? My 2nd extender connects to the 1st extender as it cannot "see" the router.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 882

Replies: 4

Related Articles