Extend wifi with repeater - which product will work?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-01 19:19:47 - last edited 2020-12-02 06:20:48
Model: Archer VR2800  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

My situation is I have the Archer VR2800 (replacement of the standard one you get from provider) as my main wifi provider for the house. On top of this i have an 8 Port Gigabit switch. I dont get enough wifi coverage in the house and would like to extend this as logical as possible. I already have 4 cat 5 cables coming off this switch going to 2 bedrooms for gamiing and 2 for cctv.

What I would like to do is connect a wifi repeater to one of the cables in the bedrooms that provide gaming and also have enough port to continue the cable for gaming.

I would also like to configure this so it has the same network name and password as the main router so coverage throughout the house is seamless. 

Has anyone had any luck in configuring this way and what products they used? Thanks in advance.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Extend wifi with repeater - which product will work?
2020-12-01 22:08:05 - last edited 2020-12-02 06:20:48

Given the infrastructure you already have, If I were you, I would place an Archer C6 in AP mode in the bedroom (Cat5E cable) connected like: VR2800 (LAN port) => C6 (Internet-blue port). Thus you would have extended wi-fi coverage to the bedrooms and had left 4 free LAN ports for wired clients on the C6. You can have the SSIDs of C6 configured the same as VR2800.

Of course if your are not budget limited you can go for Archer AX10 instead and have the new and improved Wi-Fi 6 coverage in your home.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Extend wifi with repeater - which product will work?
2020-12-02 08:06:45
Thanks for the advice, but I would prefer a device that is POE only so I can stick this on the ceiling just outside the bedroom.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 720

Replies: 2

Related Articles