Deco M5 Mesh Roaming not working since update to 1.5.1

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-01 22:14:15
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

HI,

Since upgrading to the latest version (1.5.1) I have a problem where clients get stuck to particular M5 units and don’t roam to the closest M5 Device. This then causes no connectivity to the affected clients until the client either moves closer to the device of disables and re enables wifi.

Units are setup as Access point with Fast roaming disabled(disabled this a long time ago as certain devices didn’t work) and Beam forming enabled.

I have powered them all off but the problem still persists.

This problem started straight after the upgrade. Any help please?

Options
9 Reply
Re:Deco M5 Mesh Roaming not working since update to 1.5.1
2020-12-02 01:53:00

@starkie 

Hi

Could you please help me check the following information:

1. What are those devices that are not able to roaming to the closet Deco?

2. Are the Mesh Technology on these devices enabled?

3. Could you please temporarily enable the fast roaming on the Deco APP to see if that made any difference?

4. how are the Deco connected to each other, wirelessly or via cables?

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-12-02 08:32:40

@TP-Link 

Hi,

Could you please help me check the following information:

1. What are those devices that are not able to roaming to the closet Deco?  - Iphones \ Ipads \ Irrigation controller

2. Are the Mesh Technology on these devices enabled? - Yes

3. Could you please temporarily enable the fast roaming on the Deco APP to see if that made any difference? - It made difference. It also prevented one of my smart tv's from connecting.

4. how are the Deco connected to each other, wirelessly or via cables? - They are connected via wireless.

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-12-02 08:58:04 - last edited 2020-12-02 20:35:56

One thing I noted is that on the clients that are having issues is that they have gone back to 2.4Ghz rather than 5Ghz. If I disable the wifi and re enable it fixes the issue until the person moves. Devices that only work on 2.4ghz still have issues as well. I have removed and re added all decos which has not helped.

This is actually getting worse, Constant drop outs to the point that I have reverted to an older modem! Is their anyway to go back to older version as they as where working perfectly on that? 

Can someone please please help!!!

Options
2020-12-16 07:11:21

@starkie honestly what ticks me off about these routers is there's no way to force 5G. They really should make it to where you can have certain devices set to 5G, or even have a separate network name for 5G like the majority of routers have... At least give us the damn option!!

Gone are the days of software freedom where you purchase something and can completely alter it to your liking 😢

Options
2020-12-27 12:00:53

Hi

I am also experiencing exactly same problem, after upgrading to 1.5 my mesh network stopped working completely, was working perfectly before. 

I noticed that the toggle button to turn off and on mesh on individual devices was gone, but when I delete my slave(second) deco the option showed up again like it was before. 

After setting up second deco again the option disappeared again, and I have tried different settings and nothing works. 

If tp-link won't fix this sh** bug ASAP I'm definitely gonna return these on warranty as they are not working as advertised and completely useless now. 

I run deco m5 and deco m9 plus tougher, and tried both wired and wireless connection between them. 

Tp-link, please take your customers seriously. 

Options
2020-12-27 14:16:08

@Thunstop 

I also run Deco mesh which is mix of one M5 and two M9 Plus. I do not experience issues with device roaming between nodes. Also, an option to toggle on/off Mesh is always present. 

This is what my Deco nodes have for firmware versions:

If I to guess, you might have different firmware on slave (second) Deco. When you add it to the mesh, it downgrades Deco mesh features.

You can login to Main Deco Web interface and see what it reports there for firmware versions of all your Deco nodes. This is what I have, for example:

Options
2020-12-27 15:14:44 - last edited 2020-12-27 15:17:24

@Alexandre. 

I see we are running different firmware versions, that's strange. 

But what is really strange about this is that everything worked perfectly before, but after m5 upgraded to 1.5 mesh stopped 

Options
2020-12-27 15:19:49 - last edited 2020-12-27 15:28:18

@Thunstop 

As I suspected. If Deco app can't let you upgrade M9 to 1.4.3, do that manually. There are numerous forum threads discussing the process, you can also just go to Support web page for firmware and manual upgrade process - or try through Web page of Main Deco, it might work through there.

If I to guess, Mesh toggling option appeared after 1.2 firmware. Deco mesh uses lowest common denomination when providing features in Deco app.

PS. Perform upgrade first. Even if you get hold of TP-Link tech support, they'll tell you the same before considering troubleshooting your issues.

PPS. Not related to issues you have, but TP-Link recommends in mixed M9/M5 Deco hardware mesh to have M9 as Main Deco.

Options
2020-12-27 15:31:50
Yeah I know, will try the update manually within an hour, took for granted that I had latest firmware since it shows that both are up to date. Hopefully this will solve the problem
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1091

Replies: 9

Related Articles