Cannot access extender's settings page with same SSID as main router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-02 16:55:16 - last edited 2020-12-04 07:58:07
Model: RE300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 build 20191114

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I've tried as much as I can to search for the answer and I couldn't get an answer so I'm write my question here.

I just got the RE300 and tried to set it up. If I set up the extender with the same SSID as that of the main router, then I am not able to access the tplinkrepeater.net site to change the settings. Because it shares the same name as that of the main router, only one name comes up and I get a 404 error trying to access the extender's settings when I am connected to the router's original name.

I have had to reset the extender for me to get into the extender's page.

How do I go about having the same router name for both router and extender without it having to be reset?

Also if I have the same name for both router and extender, how do I know if I have connected to the router or the extender?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Cannot access extender's settings page with same SSID as main router-Solution
2020-12-04 07:58:03 - last edited 2020-12-04 07:58:47

@NotEnoughMana 

Hi,

Please refer to the following suggestion to change the SSID on the RE300:

1. download the Tether APP on the smartphone; https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/re300/#Apps 

2. power off the main router for a while and connect the smartphone to the same SSID;

3. go to tools> Extended network  to change the SSID of the RE300;

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Cannot access extender's settings page with same SSID as main router-Solution
2020-12-04 07:58:03 - last edited 2020-12-04 07:58:47

@NotEnoughMana 

Hi,

Please refer to the following suggestion to change the SSID on the RE300:

1. download the Tether APP on the smartphone; https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/re300/#Apps 

2. power off the main router for a while and connect the smartphone to the same SSID;

3. go to tools> Extended network  to change the SSID of the RE300;

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options