Extender suddenly won't connect the internet to my MacBook Pro

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-03 10:41:13
Model: RE300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 20191114 Rel. 34543

Hi all,

About two days ago my MacBook Pro decided to stop being able to connect to the internet using the TP-Link AC1200 WiFi Extender (RE300). It appears to be connected (the wifi symbol is filled in/turned on) but the internet is not working.

Nothing changed, no one touched the extender and I have no idea what happened. I live alone and unless my Pomeranian decided to become a hacker there is no good reason why this should be an issue. I spent hours today trying to deal with TP-Link tech support and it was not a good experience. 

Relevant Info:

• My MacBook Pro is an A1990.
  • I have tested the main wifi (the one I'm extending since it's spotty at times) and it works fine.
  • I have also tried using the extender with my various gadgets and no issues there (both the extender wifi and the main wifi work fine). I've tested the wifi extender on my Android phone, iPad tablet, another MacBook Pro, a Dell Windows laptop, a few Google Nests/Minis and two Roku TVs. Everything is working.

I live in the basement of a house so I have no option for wired internet (to mess with a router) and I'm reluctant to reset the extender as I'd have to deal with my landlord and get into her office to get it talking to the extender again. Plus I don't want to mess up all the other gadgets in my house as everything else is currently working. I'd do it as a last resort but I'm thinking this may be a Mac issue? Not sure.

I've tried a few things including:

• Taking the extender out for a few minutes and plugging it back in. No dice.
  • Removing the extender wifi network option from the list of available networks (xxx_EXT) to connect to and reconnecting it. No dice.
  • Wiping the wifi settings from the Mac. No dice.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as it appears that it's my MacBook Pro but I don't know how to get the two talking and working again.

Thanks!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Extender suddenly won't connect the internet to my MacBook Pro
2020-12-04 07:08:12

@graphixgurl 

Hi, sorry for the delay.

May I know the operating system of this MacBook Pro, Mac OS 11.0?

Is the other MacBook Pro the same brand and operating system as this one?

What is the IP address and gateway when it is connected to the RE300

Are you able to ping the gateway and google DNS 8.8.8.8 on the MacBook?

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-12-04 19:05:31

@TP-Link 

Hi, 

Here is my Mac info. So Big Sur version 11.0.1. Yes, the other MacBook Pro is also a Mac but the operating system before it (I upgraded to Big Sur in the hopes it would help, it did not) so same manufacturer.

Are you a tech support person? I appreciate the help.

I realized when I'm connected to the wifi extender vs the normal wifi that it's not finding the router at all. I'm not able to ping anything when connected to the extended network

Mac Info

Extended WiFi Info (note the missing router info)

Wifi Info on normal internet (the network I'm trying to extend with the RE300)

Hopefully this info helps. This is really vexing me.

Thanks, 

Dawn

Options
2020-12-08 06:19:51 - last edited 2020-12-08 06:25:54

@graphixgurl 

Hi,

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

I have seen that your case has been forwarded to the senior engineers already.

Please refer to the email for further trouble shooting.

Thank you very much for your time and patience all the time.

Options