"Fast Roaming" option vs "Mesh Technology" option per device? What does the latter even do?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

"Fast Roaming" option vs "Mesh Technology" option per device? What does the latter even do?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-05 15:51:26 - last edited 2020-12-05 15:53:34
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So, Advanced > "Fast Roaming" turns on/off "Fast Roaming" functionality across the Deco mech units.

But what exactly does enabling/disabling "Mesh Technology" on a device do?

I've tried turning off "Mesh Technology" on my phone, but even with it off, I can see my phone connecting to different Mesh points around the house as I move.

Note: I tried enabling "Fast Roaming" on my network and a device seemed unhappy (my Netatmo heating relay), it's turned off again.

Options
2 Reply
Re:"Fast Roaming" option vs "Mesh Technology" option per device? What does the latter even do?
2020-12-07 09:59:02

@NeilF 

Good day.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

You could think fast roaming is the roaming between Deco units themselves and they would choose which uplink Deco is connected.

For the Mesh Technology, it is the roaming between the client and the Deco unit.

But they just ‘provide’ suggestions and ‘advise’ which Deco is much better to get connected and would have better performance.

As for whether the device would listen to this advice and switch to another Deco could not be determined by Deco but the device itself.

Thanks a lot for your understanding and support.

Options
Re:"Fast Roaming" option vs "Mesh Technology" option per device? What does the latter even do?
2020-12-07 10:53:44

@TP-Link OK, that sort of helps...

So, when would you disabled "Mesh Technology" for a device? What would you be trying to achieve?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4379

Replies: 2