Deco jumps into router mode allthough in settings access point is enabled

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-08 14:26:26
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.3

Today I suddenly lost connection to the internet. On my PC I noticed a different IP Gateway. It seems that the Main Deco was functioning sunddenly as a router allthough Operating Mode is set to Access Point. How is that possible??

Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco jumps into router mode allthough in settings access point is enabled
2020-12-10 08:54:03

@MrNiceMesh 

Hi,

Could you please help me check the following information:

1. When you noticed it was functioning like a router, what is the operation mode on the APP, wireless router or access point?

2. Could you please help me check the network map of the whole internet system: like ISP—cable modem router—main DHCP server(LAN IP range 192.168.xxx.xxx?)—main Deco---other Decos

(please also mark out how the Deco units are connected to each other, Ethernet backhaul, or wireless backhaul?)

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-12-11 16:35:32 - last edited 2020-12-11 16:40:26

@TP-Link hi.  The operation mode of the network was ap mode. I'm 100% sure of that. Suddenly my internet was gone and noticed that the ip number of the gateway was changed. When i logged in on that ip number I saw the tp link page. So one of the nodes was acting as a router. I reset all the nodes and installed a new network. At this moment everything is working fine for now..

when should I select ap mode..? When the first (main) node is installed or when all nodes are installed?

other information:

isp: ziggo

modem/router: ziggo

wireless backhaul

i have another deco m4 with 3 nodes installed at my office::

isp: ziggo

router: fortigate

all 3 nodes are connected with Ethernet backhaul on a switch. The switch is connected to the fortigate. 

In this network it took 1 hour before the connection of the 3rd node was stable..

Options
2020-12-14 03:53:23

@MrNiceMesh 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

We have several feedbacks recently, Deco would still enable its DHCP server even on AP mode When it failed to detect the main router’s DHCP server.

And there is a temporary workaround shared by one of our customers:

Modify the subnet mask of the main router and LAN IP address on the Deco, such as 192.168.8.1/255.255.248.0 on the main router, Deco 192.168.9.1,

so that even though Deco activated its own DHCP server, it is still within the IP range of the home router;

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/172846?replyId=530756

Please feel free to update here with further improvement.

Thanks a lot for your understanding.

Options
2020-12-15 14:05:00

@TP-Link Goodday! If this is true that Deco enables its DHCP server when it failed to detect te main routers DHCP server even on AP mode, I consider this as a HUGE bug. This is absolutely a NO-GO. I hope this wil be repaired in a future firmware release a.s.a.p!

Regards,

Maarten Nijs

Options
2020-12-16 08:31:10 - last edited 2020-12-16 08:31:57

@MrNiceMesh 

Good day.

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

We do have a plan to add a separate switch on the Deco to turn off the DHCP server on the further firmware.

Thanks a lot for your time and patience.

Your understanding would be highly appreciated.

Options
2020-12-19 09:44:27

@TP-Link Thank you for you reply. I hope you mean by "a seperate switch" that this will be a software switch which will become available on current models and not a hardware switch on future models..?

Options