Change MTU on IPv6 wireless network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-08 17:40:58 - last edited 2021-03-02 18:36:59
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: something from october I guess

Hi guys!

Does anyone know if it's possible to change MTU size for IPv6 on wireless? I'll tell you why... (if you have time to read, otherwise I'm happy with a "no" for answer :))

I happily had this Huawei HGwhatevernumbermodel from my ISP until lockdown started. It works fine with 100mbps up and down, handle all traffic nicely... fine! After lockdown internet use became more intense, especially wireless. Its wireless signal is not so poweful, but who needs wireless in the kitchen anyway?

So with bigger traffic this Huawei finally showed its face when started to disapper its wireless SSID, sometimes only 2.4G, sometimes only 5G, sometimes both, but wired connection was still ok. Nothing that a restart doesn't fix... But restarting it 3, 4 times a day is not good when you have all-day long meetings and your kids are attending online classes.

So I bought the Archer C7 v5 and wow... Now I have not only wireless signal in the kitchen, but whole neighborhood can see my wifi and no more need to restarts. Grat, but...

I noticed IPv6 traffic wasn't flowing. It was getting and redistributing IPv6 for all devices, but no traffic. Also sometimes my work laptop got blocked by C7 router. Either wireless and wired. Once again... restart and its fine.

I assumed it could be some config from ISP to try to avoid you from using another wireless router and bought a GPON to replace Huawei's fiber signal. Configured the C7 with all PPPoE config and voilá... WORST IDEA EVER!! I could baraly access internet even on IPv4, slowness everywhere and my working laptop was getting blocked even more! (no other device got ever blocked)

Ok... What's next? I got an unused computer I have here, installed pfSense with 2 NICs, configured PPPoE on it, configured the C7 as an access point only and... Jesus how fiber is really fast! Faster than ever! But there's always a but......

IPv6 only on Android devices wasn't flowing. And seems to me that some apps push IPv6 traffic when it notice it has IPv6. If I switch it to 4G, works like a charm. Wired and other devices worked better than ever. The hugest pain in the a** became my wife complaining that she couldn't order food on wireless, only 4G... 9gag doesn't seem to work well either.

After a deep search I could found some forums saying that MTU has to be smaller as it encapsulate the PPPoE in the packet header when goes to internet and then the packet become too big. Not only I couldn't find this configuration in the C7, but checked the Huawei and it actually uses 1472 as MTU, aaaaaand I switched back all network to Huawei... IPv6 works fine on it.

I was just about to put the C7 to sell or giveaway to someone in orther to buy something else, but decided to post here firstly. Why not, right?

I tried dd-wrt, but it doesn't really have a stable version for it and SSID signal is waaaay weaker than stock firmware.

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Change MTU on IPv6 wireless network-Solution
2021-03-02 18:36:45 - last edited 2021-03-02 18:36:59

My ISP is Copel Telecom (local Brazilian ISP for my city only).

But I managed to fix after all. After some useless searchs in Google, nothing was found.

So I checked system logs, and DHCPv6 was still running, even that it was configured as access point only.

Did a factory reset and imediatelly configured it as access point only. not For my surprise didn't work again... All devices get a valid IPv6, but not a chance of traffic flowing. Turnet it off and used cable directly to ISP router and it worked. Tried again using cable going thru Archer C7..... no success.

Then I bought a GPON and replaced ISP modem for this GPON and a pfSense firewall. On cable directly to pfSense, worked as charm... Turned on the Archer... no traffic!

Here's the solution part:

Went to local store and bought one of those access point only that you fix in the roof... voi lá... it works!

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Change MTU on IPv6 wireless network
2020-12-09 03:10:04

@AlexBueno 

Just to confirm, how is the current network connection in your house now, is it the Huawei HG---Archer C7 (is C7 working as a router or an access point)?

If the C7 is working as a router, what is the WAN connection type on it, PPPoE or Dynamic IP? Will it be able to get a correct IPv6 address when you notice the IPv6 traffic wasn't flowing?

So now are only the Android devices cannot connect to the internet when connected to the C7 network and using IPv6? 

Options
2020-12-09 12:22:57
Currently it's not even on. I'm using just the ISP router.
Options
2020-12-10 03:40:11

@AlexBueno 

May I know who is your ISP? Is the IPv6 connection working fine when connecting the ISP modem directly to the computer? We hope you could provide more details as we asked previously, then we will try to help you out.

Options
Re:Change MTU on IPv6 wireless network-Solution
2021-03-02 18:36:45 - last edited 2021-03-02 18:36:59

My ISP is Copel Telecom (local Brazilian ISP for my city only).

But I managed to fix after all. After some useless searchs in Google, nothing was found.

So I checked system logs, and DHCPv6 was still running, even that it was configured as access point only.

Did a factory reset and imediatelly configured it as access point only. not For my surprise didn't work again... All devices get a valid IPv6, but not a chance of traffic flowing. Turnet it off and used cable directly to ISP router and it worked. Tried again using cable going thru Archer C7..... no success.

Then I bought a GPON and replaced ISP modem for this GPON and a pfSense firewall. On cable directly to pfSense, worked as charm... Turned on the Archer... no traffic!

Here's the solution part:

Went to local store and bought one of those access point only that you fix in the roof... voi lá... it works!

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 667

Replies: 4