M9 Plus: Parental control not working properly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-08 21:47:44
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.3 Build 20200921 Rel. 42500

Hi. Ever since I bougt this M9 Plus (3 pieces) I have problems with the parental settings of my younges daughter. I made a profile with both her iPhone Xr and her MacBook Air. Pausing her internet connection works for a shorter time, sometimes up to some hours but then the pausing disables by itself and she is free connecting the internet again. Not only internet pausing seems to live its own life but also the time limits and go to bed settings disappear after a while, sometimes it works for a day or two but then the setting go back to presets, eg settings are restored to factory. Also, sometimes one or both of her devices can disappear in her profile and at the same time all the settings on that device are of course not valid anymore meaning she has unlimited internet.

There must be som fix for this. I specifically bought the M9 Plus according to specifications about parental control and very good testing reports about its mesh feature and stability. Now a year after I bought it it's still not working properly besides very good wireless covering. 
I have followed all instructions about updating firmware, first time using the 'tool', since then  updating to latest f/w 1.4.3 20200921 rel 42500 some weeks ago to by using the app. Problems still exist.

please, I'd really need some help on this or a new firmware update maybe could solve a bug in f/w.

Thank in advance /Jannek999 

Options
7 Reply
Re:M9 Plus: Parental control not working properly
2020-12-09 00:47:57

@Jannek999 Have you tried address reservation and assigning an IP to the device ? I have done that for my kids laptop and seems to be working okay

Options
2020-12-09 19:10:06

@ayekay 

Thank you for your reply. One of her devices did not have IP assaigned, actually it was not even pesent in list of devices that could be assigned when checking on my iPhone, but using the Deco app on my iPad I found her devise and now I am testing the parental control and after 4 hours it is still working and both her devices are shown in her profile. I will keep on testig and give some feed-back here if it succedes or not.

Cheers

/Jannek999

Options
2020-12-10 07:30:41

@Jannek999 

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

We would like to follow up on your case by email and could you please help us check the following information:

1. Are you able to constantly reproduce the problem?

2.is there any chance that someone could access to your account and manually delete these information?

3. if possible, if you set up parental control profile and add internet pause on another device, would this issue occur again?

Thank you very much for your understanding and support.

Options
2020-12-13 18:34:33

@TP-Link 

Hi. One problem solved, I have now assigned my daughters devices and they do not disappear in her profile anymore but her limits are renewed by itself when limit reached, eg if she reaches her 3 hour limit, suddenly it will start all over with 0 minutes and she has another 3 hours. Also, pausing will only work for a inconstant amount of time, all of a sudden the pausing is reversed. 
I will check if pausing internet on another device other than my daughters will have any impact on the problem. What else can I do?

/Jannek999

Options
2020-12-14 02:24:40

@Jannek999 

Good day,

Please check whether your daughters devices are all IOS 14 devices?

We used to have a feedback that there would a new feature added on the IOS14: private address.

When the device's virtual MAC address function is turned on, each time it reconnects to Deco's network, it will use a random MAC address, thus Deco recognizes it as a new device.

So please refer to the following instruction to see if that helped:

Setting -> WLAN -> tap on the blue info icon at the left of the deco Wi-Fi name -> disable the Private Address feature.

(Picture refer to https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227  

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-12-22 19:20:18

@TP-Link 

Thanks for help. Now I understand why parental control could be circumvented, all this nice feature worth nothing with private address option possible and introduced with iOS14. As I understand, a white list would fix this problem. Now, as I have disabled private address feature in all our devises, all profiles and especially my daughters are working. Hope she will never find out😜. I can see a lot of posts regarding this problem but tp-link seems not to bother, they should fix this, but still no new fw update although they know about this a long time now.

Still one problem that I do not know how to fix, pausing internet seem to be reversed by itself  after a variable time. Any clue about this.

/Jannek999

Options
2021-10-26 18:06:56

@ayekay 

@TP-Link 

Can you please provide instructions on how to make the address reservation and assigning an IP to the device?  I have Deco M9 Plus.

Thank you

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 809

Replies: 7

Related Articles