Archer A6 ISP connection unstable after latest firmware update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-09 14:44:58 - last edited 2020-12-09 14:46:00
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.1 Build 20201020 rel.37926

Hello.

I have an Archer A6(RU) which has worked almost flawlessly for years but recently i decided to do an OTA update to the latest firmware and since then the router has become unstable.

The main page shows that it loses the internet connection to the ISP almost once a day on average. A reboot usually fixes it.

The error message says "Unstable connection". Once it said "there is no cable connected to the WAN port" but that was only once and i contacted my ISP who say everything is fine on their end. When that happens the internet led usually turns red but sometimes it will be off entirely.

Smart Access is disabled and i haven't changed any other settings.

I have seen many threads here about people having similar issues with the latest firmware.

I have also read that it's not allowed to downgrade to the previous firmware. Is it really unsafe? Can anything else be done? Is another firmware update in the works that will fix this?

Thank you for any support.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Archer A6 ISP connection unstable after latest firmware update
2020-12-10 03:21:15

@iod 

Sorry to hear that. When there is no internet on the A6 and its internet LED shows red or off, can you login to its web interface to confirm if there is still a WAN IP address, what is it?

It is also suggested connecting the ISP modem directly to a computer and confirm the stability, ensure the connection is stable.

If this is confirmed, try different cat5e or cat6 cables between the modem and A6, ensure the cable is good and it's firmly connected between them.

Options
2020-12-25 13:14:26 - last edited 2020-12-25 18:29:49

@Kevin_Z 

Hello. I am sorry fort the long delay but i wanted to be sure.

I've tested the cable by plugging in directly, there were no issues but as soon as i plugged in the router the instability came back, so it's probably not the cable

When the bug occurs the error message says "Poor network" on the main page but the WAN IP does not disappear. And as far as i can tell, it's the same IP i had when it was working.

Here is a screenshot.

And a few additional screenshots.

I couldn't test a different cable but i don't think it's a connection issue as i didn't have any issues when i was plugged in directly.

Is there anything else i can try except flash the previous firmware? Thanks.

Options
2020-12-28 01:22:31

@iod 

Thank you for getting back. Sorry that I cannot open the screenshot, don't know why.

If there is still a WAN IP address when the internet drops on the A6 router, please try to change the DNS server on the A6 WAN to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1, then reboot the A6 to confirm.

Options
2020-12-29 12:27:09 - last edited 2020-12-29 14:14:38

@Kevin_Z 

Hello Kevin.

I've tried setting the primary DNS to 1.1.1.1 and secondary DNS to 8.8.8.8 but unfortunately within 12 hours it happened again. Same error "Poor network" and the wan ip is present.

Is there anything else i can try?

Regards

Options
2020-12-30 01:13:27

@iod 

Just to confirm again, what is the current firmware version of your Archer A6? Is it a RU version?

Options
2020-12-30 01:25:34

@Kevin_Z 

Yes i'm assuming its a RU version because i bought it in Ukraine, the interface was in Russian and the latest update explicitly says  it's for Archer A6(RU)

I've just gotten a minor OTA update today and upgraded to 1.3.2 Build 20201126 rel.39768

It didn't mention stability fixes but i'll see if it helps.

Options
2020-12-30 10:05:02

@iod 

Copy that.

Please try to reset the A6 to factory defaults by holding the reset button on it until all lights flash, then reconfigure it from scratch, monitor again if there is still an issue, thank you very much.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1008

Replies: 7