Archer A9 AC1900

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer A9 AC1900

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Archer A9 AC1900
Archer A9 AC1900
2020-12-11 19:44:13
Model: Archer A9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I currently have a TP-Link Google Onhub which is horrible.  I am having to constantly reconnect devices as they lose connection to internet, speeds drop drastically and it goes "offline' routinely.  I use a lot of TP-LINKS at work and they have alwasy been rock solid, so I am assuming the issues is whatever designs Google put in place.

Looking at options to replace.  I do not think I need a mesh as we are only 1000SF (metal roof tho)

I am wondering if the Archer A9 AC1900 would be sufficient for us.  We steam video on multiple devices and do have a lot of "smart" things connected (my wife bought a bunch of annoying wifi light bulbs sigh)

Anyone have experience with this model and now it handles high traffic and lots of devices?

Thinks kindly!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer A9 AC1900
2020-12-15 09:53:08

@K_2 

Hi, you may compare the specifications for both the Google Onhub and the Archer A9, check if that have big difference first.

Generally, the smart bulbs will require little bandwidth when working, you may optimize the network by connecting them to the 2.4GHz network, while with those require high data or bandwidth, you may connect them to the 5GHz network, then monitor the performance.

Meanwhile, if you prepare for the Wi-Fi 6 and budget is not an issue, you can go with something like Archer AX10, since Wi-Fi 6 is backward compatible with Wi-Fi 5 clients. Also in perspective, more and more devices would be Wi-Fi 6 capable nowadays:

https://www.tp-link.com/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-ax10/

Have a nice day~

Options
2020-12-18 22:53:36

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you for your advice and response.  Much appreciated.

I have checked the spec's, and from what I can see, the Archer A9 is a little better than the onhub.  The issue I have is the constant "drop" in connectivity with devices, which seems to be a common issue with onhub.  (might be why TP-LINK isn't making them anymore?)

The onhub does not allow me to distinguish between 2.4 and 5ghz, which I think is part of the problem.  It forces devices 5ghz when the signal is not strong enough.

I am a little curious about hte Archer AX10... I am wondering if I am finding the right one as it is cheaper than the A9 at $99CAD (on amazon.ca).  I like that price, and if it will easily handle mulitple streaming services and my VPN into the office, I will order one tomorrow!

Options
2020-12-21 03:21:11

@K_2 

If that is the case, you may try to replace the Google Onhub with another model that is still in production.

Archer AX10 is some kind of entry level Wi-Fi 6 router, below is the Overview:

https://www.tp-link.com/ca/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-ax10/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 649

Replies: 3

Related Articles