Instructions on how to install Deco 5 with Comcast Router/Modem?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-11 20:56:54

Does anyone have any simple to follow instructions on how to set up 3 Deco M5 devices with a Comcast router/modem?  I spent over 3 hours trying to get this setup and eventually had to call Comcast to reset my device because it had completely lost internet.  

Just looking for a simple guide to follow if anyone has something they can recommend.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Instructions on how to install Deco 5 with Comcast Router/Modem?
2020-12-14 02:05:24

@MRH54 

Good day,

Normally there is no need special setup with Chromecast router/modem;

If possible, please refer to the following suggestions:

1. connect a laptop via Ethernet cable to Chromecast modem to make sure there is internet service on the computer;

2. and please also check the IP address on the computer;

3.follow the instruction here to set up the Deco again with Chromcast and please save a picture of which step that you failed to get through;

And there are some basic trouble shooting steps for your reference:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2239/

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2010/

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-10-24 15:52:52

Hi @TP-Link,

The word "Normally" made me laugh because once something leaves a companies control environment it becomes something like Voyager lost in the Delta Quadrant. Your normal is gone and who knows what new technology species it will encounter, or how us Q's have setup things causing some fun unknown chaos because we thought we knew everything. :) 

Thr person posting the question has a huge valid request because I believe I have discovered missing information when setting up the DECO M5's with Comcast/Xfinity rented equipment. Rented equipment that millions of homes have because, well why would Xfinity ever be a leach sucking on our wallets Month after Month after Month? I mean once the equipment hits its cost the leach is removed and the cost monthly would end, right?

Any way...Xfinity tells its customers (using a waving finger), Don't devide the network into 2.5 ghz and 5.0 ghz because the device you rent handles the balancing for you.  It's that kind of strange respect we have for Xfinity that they wouldn't lie to their customers and have them do things that are not true. That's why we don't mess with that knowledge we pay for monthly, some over $175.00 per month.

I unpacked my Deco M5 and followed the Deco instructions. Sometime time period afterwards I learned you must not let the Xfinity equipment broadcast the SSID. Does that mean stop broadcasting? That's what I did. Hid the SSID name from Briadcastung.

Over time my Deco M5 mesh began failing all over. I powered off all 3 M5 devices, still powered off today 10 days later, and I called Xfinity like the person how made the post, to ask them to confirm they see the connectivity, again no M5's with any power or connections.

Xfinity tells me in their support chat* they cannot help me because they can see documented on my account that I have setup the Deco's in my home so no support.

I could feel the lava in my belly want to explode from my face, but I kept it to a small lip biting rage. I typed out...

"Thabk you for informing me you have been spying on my network and what I do in my home. (I hadn't told Xfinity I installed the Deco's.) None of those devices are connected or powered on so IT'S YOUR PROBLEM FIX IT NOW. Their response..."Oh. I can see that too now, sorry."

Xfinity had done a lot of behind the scenes changes to my Arris rented equipment. Changes that I know how to do but no instructions told me to do them. The M5's dumped issues into their networks until they changed settings on the Arris devices.

It was like I installed a Borg Slipdrive, went into Warp speed, and the Borg were like...

Borg Xfinity Drone: Voyager Home Crew has screwed up installation of slip Deco M5 drive causing a collapse of the network around them. Should we intercept and integrate?

Borg Xfinity Queen: I'm feeling 7's humanity as I look out over this city in the throws of poverty. Compassion. Target their warp nacelles with our nano technology, they won't know the nano's are there making changes. And let them go, for now."

Like the original post asked...Is there a check list of things TP-Link may be taking for granted as industry  knowkede that the general public needs to do or to check before or after installation? I bet there is. ☺️

Options
2021-10-24 15:59:26
Sorry for any type-o’. It’s Not easy being serious and funny from an iPhone keyboard. Don’t make any sudden moves. They great eye on the Xfinity Tower in Philadelphia is looking our way. They must suspect we are taking about them. Reman calm.
Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 7938

Replies: 3

Related Articles