How do I change SSID channel on Deco X20 ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-12 08:09:45
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: V1.20 (latest firmware)

When I connect with my PC to de Deco X20 I can see the status of f.e. the wireless connection. However I can not change these setting (f.e. other channel nr for 2.4 and 5 G).

So my question is: How do I change SSID channel on Deco X20 ?

Options
38 Reply
Re:How do I change SSID channel on Deco X20 ?
2020-12-14 03:18:47 - last edited 2021-03-15 09:42:50

@JRDe 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Currently, Deco X20 does not support manually changing the wireless channels.

We have already reported this feedback to the senior engineers already.

Currently, the latest firmware 1.5.1 on Deco M5 has added Network Optimization which could help us automatically switch to the best channels.

And it is planned to add this feature to other Models of Deco series products.

Thanks a lot for your understanding.

Options
2021-01-11 11:33:34

@TP-Link 

By using a wifi analyser app on my smartphone I checked on which 5G channel my Decos are communicating.

My decos are communicating on 5G channel 40/42.

Yet this is the channel where also all other ISP routes of my neighbors are communicating. On all other channels there is no communication.

It seams that the mechanism the Deco's are using to select the best 5G channel is not working correctely.

I would have expected that the decos would have selected an other (less crowded) 5G channel. 

I'm experiencing during f.e. video conferencing frequent slow connections on several devices connected to 5G. Check on ISP router and with cabled connections indicate issue is more related to deco.

Is there a work around to get my deco's working on less crowed wifi channels?

Best regards, Hans Deuss

Options
2021-03-13 21:34:05

@JRDe 

I have the same problem, with the DECO X20 version.

Did you get a work around?

Thanks!

Options
2021-04-03 21:45:46 - last edited 2021-04-03 21:48:19

None of the Deco products currently allow the user to select/set the WiFi channels.

The (rather new) "Network Optimization" feature has NOT changed the 'channel selected' that I have seen; I'm not sure what it is supposed to do.

Every time I 'exit' that feature (Network Optimization), then get back in, the analysis says it "needs to make improvements"; after it does whatever it does (no clue!), and reports "Perfect!" ... exiting out and back in again goes through the same sequence.  (FYI: I'm using a mix of X60's and X20's, in Access Point mode.)

It behaves a lot like "hand-waving" -- at least in my WiFi environment.  It would be interesting to see if anyone has any noticed any changes after using that feature.

Options
2021-04-03 23:50:35 - last edited 2021-04-03 23:50:47

@Dan_C. 

I just got that feature with M9 firmware upgrade. When I run "Network Optimization," it moves my 5GHz band from channel 40 to channel 44. 

This is how my neighbours' networks broadcast, I am guessing they can set channel manually and can google to find what are the best channels to set on their routers.

Options
2021-04-04 02:12:53

@Alexandre.  -- thanks for confirming what that function is supposed to do!  That's good to know.

One thing to keep in mind, when wondering if the "right" channel has been chosen, is that the Deco channels (for the X60 & X20, anyway) are much wider than may by used by some other WiFi devices.  I don't know what "algorithm" TP-Link uses for selecting the channels, but the width of their bands may be a factor in that selection, not just the "center channels" of other broadcasting WiFi at the time.

e.g. neighbors' channels ... or it may just be the default for their device!  (Many people just apply power and leave it alone.)

Options
2021-06-23 10:42:47
Hi! Any updates on the manual change feature? In my network it also uses the most crowded channel, and network optimization doesn't fix this. Thanks.
Options
2021-07-16 13:34:14

@JRDe 

It doesn't look as if TP-Link gives a damn about us.  My x20 Deco three kit is on the most congested channel it can get on and the Optimization does d!ck-all about it.  

Basic function of any router is user configurations which this lacks in all regards.  That's it for me, I have MANY TP-link items in my house and all are going to the trash.  This junk I bought is worthless for me and I will make sure no one I speak to buys TP-link products, they have had over a year to correct this HUGE goat screw of a product and they have no plans to do so.

I have monitored this for the last year hoping TP-link changes course and fixes what they know was a huge misstep and the refuse so no I will vote with my wallet and walk away from them, good bye TP-link, wished I could say it was fun.

Options
2021-08-07 07:17:41

@JRDe 

its the same story with me, I got Deco X20 v2 3-pack.

deco always seems to select the band which is congested with 15-17 other SSIDs in my building.

the worst thing is not having an option to change this and may be am old-school, i prefer a full fledged configuration using a browser.

Options
2021-08-21 14:18:04

Are they adding the "optimize" feature, or removing it?

I had a network optimization button on the older firmware that came with the v1 x20 hardware. That hardware failed within the 1st 45 days. TP-Link sent v2 x20 replacements, and the newer firmware doesn't have the optimization button.

Could someone at TP-Link confirm whether some way of changing the wireless channels is actually coming, and when?

Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 13620

Replies: 38

Related Articles