TP-LINK Deco S4 with a Archer C9 router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-16 01:20:19 - last edited 2020-12-16 01:22:42
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I am thinking buying a Deco S4 (3-pack).

I currently have a TP-Link C9 router (white). I would like to connect the main Deco to the C9 router.

Does this means that I will have 2 SSID; one from the C9 router and another from the Deco main unit?

If yes, then may I ask does all devices connect to the C9 or Deco main unit?

If I connect my devices to the Deco main unit, isn't the traffic speed still limited by the connection between the Deco main unit and C9 which is 1Gb?

Also if I setup my Deco main unit, which his the recommended connection? I have read this article and still do not quite understand the infographics (dash line and wifi sign between Deco units).

Thanks.

Options
6 Reply
Re:TP-LINK Deco S4 with a Archer C9 router
2020-12-16 06:52:57

@mousehunt 

Good day,

If the Deco is connected behind the C9,

--yes, you would have two SSIDs with smart connect enabled on the C9: one from the C9 router and another from the Deco main unit;

Since Deco has two operation modes: router mode and access point mode, if it is in AP mode(which is more recommended in order to get rid of double NAT issue),

all the devices would get IP address from C9 even though they are physically connected to different wi-fi;

--as long as the Deco is connected behind the C9, the traffic speed would be limited to  the connection from C9;

--for the two topology, the first Ethernet connection would provide a better speed and much more stable connection.

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-12-16 08:09:50 - last edited 2020-12-17 01:18:15

@TP-Link Hi,

So do I connect to Deco WiFi or C9 WiFi?

Just to confirm, so your recommended connection is Deco set as AP?

Also, where do I enable Smart Connect in my C9?

There are other devices that require a cable connection to the C9 (and C9 to the ISP modem). So I would prefer the C9 to be in router mode is possible.

I can't find it.

Thanks.

Options
2020-12-19 03:08:05

@TP-Link 

Can you help me with my questions? 

Thanks.

Options
2020-12-19 14:46:40

@mousehunt 

>If I connect my devices to the Deco main unit, isn't the traffic speed still limited by the connection between the Deco main unit and C9 which is 1Gb?

This is correct. Why would this be a problem? C9 has gigabit WAN/LAN ports, whatever you can connect to C9 can't do faster than gigabit, anyway. Also, with WAN port limited by gigabit your internet connection couldn't be faster than that.

Actually, what is your ISP connection, download and upload speed?

>I am thinking buying a Deco S4 (3-pack)

What is the main reason you want to buy Deco S4? Some buy Deco for parental controls, for router functionality, for QoS, for antivirus, but some like me buy it just to boost WiFi signal all over the house. 

A good recommendation for Deco deployment and configuration will depend on what you want to achieve with Deco mesh.

Options
2020-12-19 15:14:21

@Alexandre. 

Hi,

Thanks for your response. Appreciate it.

The reason for me to buy a Deco S4 is for boosting WiFi and parental control.

My ISP download speed max is 1Gb so I don't that is an issue.

So will I have 2 SSID and if yes, which one should I connect to? The C9 or the Deco S4?

Thanks.

Options
2020-12-19 16:25:57 - last edited 2020-12-19 16:41:00

@mousehunt 

If you plan to use Deco parental controls or any other advanced functionality, you'll need to configure Deco mesh in Router mode. It is default configuration.

Deco Access Point mode is for WiFi coverage only. In that mode, ISP router (in your case - Archer C9 router) keeps managing the network, Deco just provides WiFi.

In both cases, it is recommended to disable WiFi on C9 after Main Deco is configured. 

Recommended configuration steps:

1. Connect Deco unit by Ethernet cable to C9 router and power Deco on. It'll be your Main Deco.

2. Main Deco will start with its own SSID, different from Archer C9 SSID.

3. When you are satisfied with Main Deco configuration, disable WiFi on Archer C9 router, that setting is in your screenshot: uncheck "Enable Wireless Radio"

4. Verify that C9 no longer provides WiFi: all your wireless devices should have disconnected.

5. Configure Main Deco WiFi with SSID and password you had with Archer C9 originally. If everything going well, your mobile devices will automatically reconnect - now to Main Deco.

6. Configure Satellite Decos according to TP-Link manual and place them where you'd want them to be.

That's it.

>So will I have 2 SSID and if yes, which one should I connect to? The C9 or the Deco S4?

If you have disabled WiFi in Archer router, as I recommended, you no longer have two SSID to deal with. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assuming you have good reason not to disable WiFi in Archer C9. Alternative steps:

1-2. Same.

3. When you are satisfied with Main Deco configuration, change SSID in your Archer C9 router to something different.

4. Verify that C9 no longer visible with original SSID: all your wireless devices should have disconnected, they don't know new Archer SSID. Those that didn't, restart them and check again - they should not be able to connect.

5-6. Same.

>So will I have 2 SSID and if yes, which one should I connect to? The C9 or the Deco S4?

In that configuration, you will have two different SSID and you will decide which device connects where, to Deco mesh or to Archer C9, by connecting that device to WiFi SSID of either Archer C9 or Deco mesh.

Note that in this configuration, with two SSID, wireless devices connected to C9 will not be managed by Deco parental controls. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1052

Replies: 6