Using ethernet to connect access point to router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-17 02:12:21

I am trying to connect my range extender (RE220 AC750) to my router via an Ethernet cable in order to get better signal in the basement, but when I do the router becomes unavailable to my devices and the range extender, the range extender still has an internet connection (an incredibly stable one at that) but acts as if its not getting any signal.

I need to do it this way because if the range extender was put somewhere where it could connect to the WiFi it likely wouldn't have much better signal downstairs than the router itself, and the only place worth putting it is downstairs where I can then connect multiple devices as needed.

There is also the side effect of it preventing me from being able to connect to the main router upstairs which is a pretty big issue.

if there are any further details you need then ask and I will reply when I can, any help or advice would be appreciated.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Using ethernet to connect access point to router
2020-12-17 02:18:27
as I have seen this posted in multiple other thread I wish to clarify I have tried setting it as an access point and the issues with the router persist, preventing me from connecting to the router directly and giving numerous errors on all devices saying that there is no internet connection despite having perfect signal and speed.
Options
2020-12-17 03:01:23

@ASmithetrical 

Good day,

Could you please help me check the following details since I am a little confused about your current issue?

1. When the RE220 is connected via an cable to the router, did you choose access point mode or the default range extender mode on the web UI?

2. When you said ‘when I do, the router becomes unavailable to my devices, and the range extender still has an internet connection (an incredibly stable one at that) but acts as if it’s not getting any signal’,

---What do you mean’ the router unavailable’, no internet connection anymore, or the Wi-Fi disappeared?

---for the Range extender RE220, Is it like all the LEDs are solid blue, and  Wi-Fi connected  but with no internet service?

If there is any misunderstanding, please feel free to update it here.

Thank you very much for your understanding and support.

Options
2020-12-18 16:18:35

@TP-Link 

Hello,

I have tried using both access point mode and range extender mode and the following issue persists.

when the RE220 is active, connections directly to the router are no longer available, and the app says that the router has no signal at all, making most options on the app unavailable despite the RE220 having good signal.

all the lights are green, and internet connection is strong, but the TP-link app says that it isnt connected to the router and that it isnt getting any internet, but it is.

the main issues are that it:

A. prevents my flat mate from connecting to the router in the other areas of the house.

B. the TP-link app says that it is not properly connected to the router, despite having an internet connection.

Thank you for your help.

Options
2020-12-21 06:22:40

@ASmithetrical 

Hi, thank you very much for your kind reply.

May I know the current hardware and firmware version on the RE220?

What is the model number of your home router?

If possible, please try to update the firmware to be the following one:

RE220 V1: https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202011/20201109/RE220_v1_201022.zip

RE220 v2: https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202011/20201109/RE220_v2_201022.zip

How to update the firmware: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1406/

Thank you very much.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 482

Replies: 4

Related Articles