Archer Ax20 unstable connection 5g

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-21 07:00:18
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 build 20201023 rel:69987

Currently i've been having issues with my internet connection especially using the 5g channel..the 2.4g channel i have no problem but for 5g channel..i keep getting unstable connection..im not sure whether its the hardware problem or the software problem..i hope any1 can assist me on how to solve this issue..to be more specific on what i meant by unstable connection :- sometimes the internet is not working...but the lights are all green when it happens..there are times (usually happens somewhat in the morning, abit later in the evening where the internet is kind of like slow for no reason) n all of this happening when i use the 5g channel..i already ask my internet provider to come n check..normally what they can do is to check on their side only..they don't really check as much because i use third party router(archer ax20) not theirs..as for their side..they are confident that everything is fine for their side..so now definately this issue has got to do with the router im currently using which is the archer ax20..thanks

Options
6 Reply
Re:Archer Ax20 unstable connection 5g
2020-12-21 07:25:39

@Jayquebravo 

Just to confirm, when you mean the internet is not working, does it mean the 5G signal just disappears on the AX20 and no devices can see it? Or they failed to connect to it even though they can still see it? Can I have the screenshot of the error message on the laptop or phone if the case is the latter?

How about the 5G signal strength, is it good enough for those devices to connect? Please try to modify the 5G wireless settings on the AX20, such as the wireless channel and channel width, change the 5G channel to 36/40/44/48, channel width to 40MHz, then confirm if the connection is more stable.

What are the devices connected to the 5G network? Are they experiencing the disconnect issue at the same time? How did you recover the connection? Do you need to reboot the AX20 by powering it off then on?

Options
2020-12-21 08:05:14

@Kevin_Z 

the signal is fine..n my device has no problem connecting to the 5g..when the internet issue occurs..my handphones, laptop & pc will also get the internet problem..

Regarding the signal strength..i've check it also..at first i thought that might be the cause..but i have 1 pc that is located very near to the router..also facing the same issue when the problem occur..i even change the wifi adapter for my other pc that is located abit further from the router..but still there's the issue with the 5g channel..

usually i only use main device such as fire stick 4k tv , pcs , & handphone to use the 5g channel..the other device such as smart device only using 2.4g..in my case..there's no disconnect issue..my main device is still connected to the 5g channel when the internet problem occur..there are times when im having a conference call using the internet..my call keeps getting stuck n unclear for people to interact with me..which indicates the internet is not stable..

Yes..i did try to reboot the ax20..i did both..restart the router using apps..then if the problem still there..i also power it off..wait 10sec..then power it on after 10sec..mostly the problem is still there..feels like there's a conflict or somewhat interference..

maybe later on i will try to modify the 5g wireless setting (channel & width) as u suggest to see if there's any difference...as for now..im currently not using the 5g because this issue still on going which is a waste coz supposely the reason i change the router is to get a better signal n better performance 

To add on...usually the only error that comes out sometimes shows the device is not connected to the internet on the internet browser..most of the time..when the problem occurs..i refresh the browser or any other apps such as youtube..it loads like very slowly...also when the problem starts..i did the speedtest..definately it shows the bandwith change n get lesser than usuals..

Options
2020-12-22 03:04:42

@Jayquebravo 

Thank you very much for the detailed issue description. Please try my previous suggestions to modify the 5G settings on the AX20, you may also change the DNS settings on it to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1, enable both the IGMP snooping and IGMP Proxy, then reboot the AX20, reconnect to the 5G network on the fire stick 4k tv and phones to confirm.

Options
2021-02-18 06:19:12 - last edited 2021-02-18 06:21:33

I purchased the AX20 version 2.0 to test the WiFi 6 last week. However it was not stable with 5G keeps dropping randomly. There is no available firmware to improve the stability of this device at the moment. Now, I am using my previous ASUS RT-AC68U router. Hope TP-Link would release a fix sooner. Thanks.

Options
2021-02-18 09:22:52

@2021customer 

I agree..somehow the 5G connection is not stable..its hard to find out what's the issue..i've tried the solution they suggest but it seems that its unclear what cause the connection to be unstable

Options
2021-02-23 09:27:06

@2021customer 

So the 2.4G and wired connection on the AX20 is stable? What are the devices connected to the 5G network? Are they dropping at the same time?

Is Smart Connect feature on or off on the AX20? You may try to disable it, and create different 5G and 2.4G network names, modify the 5G channel to a clear one, change the 5G channel width to 40MHz, then reboot the AX20 to confirm.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1441

Replies: 6

Related Articles